Access denied

Wed May 26, 2004 12:57 pm

looking at the bailey light house situation its a bit worrying how much of the coast line we're being denied access to. One of the reasons i prefer sea fishing is the freedom to fish where you want. Thinking of Wicklow the rocks along the golf course going out to brides head and the beachs in between magheramore and brittas have all been cut off in the last 20 years. In fact theres been attempts to cut off access to magheramore and mizen head even though their rights of way.

Donagh

Wed May 26, 2004 1:50 pm

I agree Donagh, its a real pity. I think the "claim culture" has a lot to answer for. Irish Lights are generally very obliging people, its just sad in this case. Are there any other routes to get to the rocks without trespassing? Nobody owns the foreshore between low and high water marks.
JK

Wed May 26, 2004 1:57 pm

jfkireland wrote:I agree Donagh, its a real pity. I think the "claim culture" has a lot to answer for. JK

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the "claim culture" has something to do with it. The issue was in the news recently, and I think there was some mention of a court case.

Wed May 26, 2004 2:17 pm

Apart from that lads, I know theres been some trouble when some blokes were advised to move from a certain spot as the tide was coming in, for they're own safety. Gardai had to be involved. In fairness to the chap that lives there with his family.......he shouldnt be subjected to that kind of abuse.

Bailey

Wed May 26, 2004 2:45 pm

Well I can understand why the owner of the house does not want people fishing there. Apart from the safety aspect, I'm sure he has seen the state of places like Balscadden after the long summer of mackeral bashing. Hundreds of "anglers" (using the term very loosely) descend the rocks and absolutely trash the place. They have no respect for nature whatsoever (which was conclusively proven when one chap caught a sea gull and seemed more worried about getting his feathers back than freeing the poor bird - I had to intervene and free the bird when I heard him talking about getting one of his golf clubs from the car). I always bring a black bag when I fish there to clean up the litter (which is not too often nowadays as, bar mackeral, there is very little to be caught there).

If I lived at the Bailey I wouldn't want these kind of people hanging around my house.

Wed May 26, 2004 2:46 pm

Very true Steve - Have to agree

Wed May 26, 2004 3:32 pm

I wasn't commenting on the bailey situation more the reduced access accross the country. As far as I'm aware theres no Duty of care for the owners of the land we access for fishing. As for closing off access for H&S reasons as was reason for closing off the right of way in wicklow to brides head by the county council. If this was carried out every where we wouldn't have a rock mark left. What about free choice.

I believe there was a quay in cork closed off due to angling litter. Theres not a lot we can do other than pick up our own rubbish.

Donagh

Wed May 26, 2004 4:06 pm

Fingal CC obviously aren't aware of this, otherwise Balscadden would have a 15ft fence blocking it off, complete with watchtower!
Last edited by Wes on Wed May 26, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 26, 2004 4:43 pm

Donagh,

I think the Cork quay you are referring to is the Deepwater Quay in Ringaskiddy. One of the employees there told me it was closed for H&S reasons.

private road

Wed May 26, 2004 4:48 pm

Just on the issue of the private road on the access to bailey light houses. A lot of light houses have rights of way to them. Wicklow light house has a private road sign on the way up but it is still a right of way. Though saying that the old head of kinsale has a right of way to it which has been closed off by the exclusive golf club there due to the dangerous cliffs. Nothing to do with millionaires having riff raf walk by them.

Donagh

Wed May 26, 2004 6:25 pm

The owner of the lighthouse has no problem as long as you pick up the litter, the warning is to ward off the mackerel bashers intent on littering who may want a change from ballscadden. Its not just anglers, last day at the Baily two foreign familys decided to have a picnic on the rocks but didn't think about picking up a scrap of litter and left the disposable barbecue smoldering away. :shock:

Ringaskiddy

Thu May 27, 2004 10:57 am

I had heard Ringaskiddy quay was closed off due to litter which I understood was an issue. Though the port authorities probably have insurance worries. How many more ports will be closed off in the next few years. I can understand the owner of Baileys LH being anoyed about the behaviour mentioned. Its just unfortunate that H&S is quoted as the reason for fishing being prohibited. As I mentioned before most of south wicklow coast line has been closed off in the last 20 years.

Donagh

Thu May 27, 2004 12:33 pm

Was that where I gave you the report on the Pollack being taken?
I'd say it was the same group that made me decide to move.

Thu May 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Yes it was the same place Wes . I also saw empty beer cans and old line left around .