Bass in the NorthWest

Wed May 26, 2004 9:03 am

Do they exist? If so, where do they tend to be caught?

Bass

Wed May 26, 2004 9:52 am

Hi there
Bass do get caught at Benone and Downhill, but you will have to put the hours in to get one. I spent allot of time there last year, about 15 sessions of 6hrs, and managed one 6lb Bass.
They also get them on the beaches at Castlrock, and Portstewart.

By the way I am from Limavady, and I see that John got in touch. He is from Derry, and knows the fishing in the area. Listen to him and you won't go far wrong.

Fahan is fishing well at the mo, all you need to use is a Pulley pennel rig, with 3/0 hooks, and mackeral for bait. Best fished either side of low water.

Tightlines

Neil

slightly OT...

Wed May 26, 2004 10:21 am

Hi Lads

I have a blackspot in my knowledge and its the fishing in Northern Ireland - any chance some of you could drop me an email with a description of any of the marks not listed on the site - I'm not asking you to part with personal favourites or hotspots :wink: but I would like to list a decent number of marks, and indeed any good charter boats as well.

Thanks

kieran.hanrahan@sea-angling-ireland.org

Bass in the North West

Wed May 26, 2004 1:13 pm

I am not sure how further south you would travel, but some Bass can be caught from the Sligo and Mayo coasts, but you won't get the numbers which frequent the southern area from Wexford to Kerry. I orginally hail from the Sligo area and personnally only caught one Bass up there but back then as a young fella I knew F*** all about fishing and was only interested in flats. One spot you may try is Mermaids cove opposite Mullaghmore. I have fished it about 6 times during the summer and only had one flounder and a small turbot, but having done a little more research I may have been fishing in the wrong spot. It is a known Bass mark, but the stamp of fish are typically less than 5lbs. What I have discovered since I moved to waterford is that bass are very predictable once you find them, and 100yards apart on a mark can make all the difference. When I fished Mermaids cove I always fished the turn off by the caravan park and fished off the flat rocks on the right onto sand, however I believe that teh best spot is next turn further on. If anyone has any info on this I'd like to know as I hope to be up there in August again. You can get the odd Bass from the surf beaches but I would advise using a decent rod that can get you well out behind the breakers, ie wade and cast. I know this contradicts some most info you read, but thats my experience of shallow surf beaches. Use simple traces ie single paternosters or ledgers size 2/0 to 4/0 and plenty of bait. Lug usually works well after a blow. In the 70s bass were not uncommon on beachs such as Enniscrone and Aughris, but even though numbers have dropped very little active fishing is done on these beaches and therefore you never know. However don't attempt to fish Enniscrone in daylight in high summer the grief from interested passers by, jet skis, swimmers and surfers is not worth, but do have a go a night. Bass feed well into darkness and are more likely to venture acrosss such beaches when its quite. If you do catch anywhere up that direction let us know, because it would be good to get an idea as to how many Bass may be there.

Wed May 26, 2004 2:15 pm

I'm actually heading to Sligo for a week (Rosses Point?) in about a months time, so I'll have a go there and see what's on offer.

Bass.

Thu May 27, 2004 12:17 am

It is close season for bass at the moment, until mid June I think. Heard Rossknowlagh beach mentioned as a bass mark.

Rosses Point

Thu May 27, 2004 1:06 pm

Irish Shamrock,

I have fished Rosses point in the past , most locals avoid it like the plague as its deemed fairly fishless. However I have caught flounder in front of the swimming pool area. Wading there a few years ago I was surprised by the amount of small flat fish (old 50p size), there were litterally hundreds in the shallows. Therefore flats most spawn in the area and maybe you could pick up some turbot on sandeel. Spinning from the rocks at the same mark will pick up a few sea-trout especially in the main channel (Garryvogue esturary). About 2 years ago I fished at the bottom of the tide at one christmas into the channel and picked up two codling (1lb) on lug. My point is that if you persevere you will get something. I would fish it at the bottom on the tide late evening, early morning or darkness if possible, lug and sandeel should give you the best bet. There are better marks nearby see marks listed on this site. A good flounder mark exists below Ballysadare on the western side of the river.

Rosses Point

Thu May 27, 2004 7:48 pm

Fished the garavogue estuary last june to the right of the pier beside the lifeboat station. The place was swarming with fry and the mackerel were having a field day. Managed to get 11 enough for a feed they were only small but aren't they the best.
A man down there told 7 sea trout not sure what size were caught at the same place using a tazzie devil in the early may. :wink: