Rogerstown Estuary

Tue May 25, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi Guys,
Whereabouts in Rogerstown is the best spot for Bass spinning (I know its close season now!).
I would like to try here once the season is reopen.
Is there a road that leads out to the ends of the outer estuary?
Anyone fish it regularly or recently?
Thanks
JK

Estuary

Wed May 26, 2004 10:27 am

There are two ways I know of to reach it - either walk the length of portrane beach (only about 10-15 mins walk), or else follow the road parallel to the beach, and towards the end of this road there is a turn off (through a caravan park as far as I remember) which allows you to drive onto the beach beside the start of the estuary. There is a harbour across the other side, but I've no idea how to get there!

The beach itself looks a likely spot in a good surf, I'm planning a few trips here later this summer.

Wed May 26, 2004 1:41 pm

Thanks Steve,
I am gonna give it a go on some of these long evenings! Maybe tonight but its only neap tides at the moment.
I am hoping to use plugs - so I will need to get into the current. Do you know if the main stream of the current is less than 30yds out?

I was speaking to a guy last year who used to fish it regularly, he says Rogerstown is quite poor these days, but I am not so sure. I saw a couple of bass at the entrance to the hole in the wall beach at sutton last year - I didnt get any but tried all summer - to no avail.
I notice that Read had trouble with the power balling method, but thats what i would like to try. I reckon it would help with the small bits of weed that always get caught up on the articial eel.
Any thoughts?
JK

Wed May 26, 2004 2:32 pm

I was only having trouble using the power ball as a float, it worked just fine for presenting a sandeel on the surface while retrieving. Float spinning, as Kieran so eloquently described it.

Wed May 26, 2004 2:44 pm

Sorry Read..... JK

rogerstown estuary

Thu May 27, 2004 12:03 pm

I have fished here a few times earlier this year.
Access to the south bank is via the beach. We parked our car in Portrane and walked up. We drove along the road parallel to the beach, but couldnt find anywhere to park. A lot of the holiday home parks have private property signs etc up.
I reckon you can access the harbour on the far side if you take the road to rush.
The estuary itself is fairly easy to fish. You can walk to the banks of the stream and fish away quite happily.
Note: The current is very strong here, Even 5 ounce breakaways were being carried downstream. Another factor is the voracious crabs. They'll strip bait in minutes. Finally there appears to be a lot of rubbish and weed in the estuary.
So spinning with a bubble float or plugging would be a good option.

I reckon I'll head back there a little later in the year. I'd be interested in seeing how you get on.