need info. on Newcastle beach for the weekend.....

Thu May 20, 2004 5:48 pm

species/ baits/ what to expect and where???? all info. would be much appreciated. thanks.

Newcastle

Thu May 20, 2004 7:40 pm

It's big, long and very sandy with no fish. That's the one here in NI.

I hope "George" or someone replys about the beach in the South, wonder how long it will take to drive from Newry to Newcastle "S" ???

And NO , I do not know my way round Dublin

Dave

Beach

Fri May 21, 2004 10:06 am

I've never fished the beach but its a shingle beach much like all the coast line from the murragh in wicklow to greystones. Access is by the old new newcastle railway station.

Donagh
Last edited by Donagh on Fri May 21, 2004 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 21, 2004 12:07 pm

thanks Donagh. are there any hot spots?

Sorry

Fri May 21, 2004 12:22 pm

Sorry I've only recently started to fish anywhere that wasn't in walking distance of Wicklow town and since then have only fished the south Wicklow beachs.

Donagh

newcastle

Fri May 21, 2004 7:35 pm

If you must fish Newcastle, head up to the left. The right of the beach towards 5 Mile Point is shallow. The deepest water is found to the left especially in the vicinity of the grey shed but it is a good walk. It used to produce great codling and dabs but you are more likely now to get dogs, whiting and small dabs. There are also a few plaice but beaches left and right of Newcastle are better options if you ask me. Left of Newcastle at Kilcoole you can get a mixed bag of flats while at 5 Mile to the right, there is always the chance of a good smoothie or a nice plaice. I would use crab, rag and sandeel as the main baits. Stick a crab bait out as far as you can for any passing smoothie and fish rag and sandeel for the plaice and dogs, tipping with a small piece of mackerel if you have it.

Sat May 22, 2004 11:47 am

thanks Cooke. seems like a lot of effort for little reward. i remember reading about the good codling catches at the shed, along with good dab in a sea angler magazine about 10years ago. depressing to think that things have changed that much since then. i will suggest these other venues to the driver! thanks again.