Rathlacken Beach (east) Sunday 9th May

Fri May 07, 2004 9:37 am

Hi

I will be heading up here with the brother to fish for the usual suspects from the beach... and then off the rocks alongside the beach. EXpect to be there around noon right through to high tide around 10 pm. Beach can produce flounder, turbot and the odd bass, however the rocks produce pollack, coalfish, codling, wrasse, tub and red gurnard, congers and huss.
Ray also possible although a little early. The sandeels have arrived, so the pollack will be in too. I am probably setting myself up for the first blank of the year with this announcement but such is life! :roll: Anyone wants to pop along, the east side is access from Kilcummin. A word of warning - you will need waders to fish the beach as it is very shallow and the weather forecast is not good. In fact if it does not improve, we're off to Achill Island for some more shelthered fishing, probably in Keem Bay.

FWIW...

Fri May 07, 2004 1:22 pm

Hi Kieran,
Good area that ! I've fished it from boat with Jimmy Gallagher on the Deltic. Do you know him ?

Fri May 07, 2004 4:01 pm

Does Jimmy skipper one of the Killala boats?

Sat May 08, 2004 5:35 pm

Kieran, yip, he skippers the Deltic. Great boat and skipper. Had some of the best trips to date with Jimmy out round Lacken, Ballycastle, Kilcummin,downpatrick head and the turbot beds.

Keem Bay instead

Mon May 10, 2004 10:51 am

Hi

Wind was from the NW, blowing right into the bay so we headed for Keem Bay instead and had a good day - see reports. Some day the damn wind will blow from the supposedly dominant SW and I will get to fish there!!!

FWIW