Questions regarding Bass Fishing around Dublin

Wed May 05, 2004 11:16 pm

Hello Lads, This is my first post on this messageboard and I have to say it is a great source of information. Anyway, Back to my question, I have just bought a Bass Spinning Rod and Im expecting it to be deliverd in the next few days. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be a good place or places to spin and plug for Bass in the Dublin area. Rock marks, beaches etc. Never caught a Bass in my life, Never really fished for them I suppose.but the idea of getting up an hour or so before sunrise in the summer and catchin one really appeals to me. Mad or wha!!

red rock

Thu May 06, 2004 10:51 am

Try red rock or doldrom bay around howth.

Bass

Fri May 07, 2004 5:16 am

Have caught bass in the past at the back off Dollymount on the mood flats in between the Woodenbridge and the road leading down to the beach. As you approach from the Howth direction the walkway/cycle track ends and you end up on the footpath. I found the best spot to be about five to ten yards up from that and casting out into the channel that runs there at low tide.

Bass around Dublin

Fri May 07, 2004 12:08 pm

Hello guest...

Head north young man!

Rogerstown estuary on an incoming tide - tricky - you might need to use a bass bullet to get the distance but fishing around the sand bars at the river mouth and even inland a bit produces good fish... occassionally. The only problem is the midges - bring your insect repellant or die slowly!

I have also heard of bass being taken around Loughshinny, albeit on baits.

FWIW...

Fri May 07, 2004 2:29 pm

i fish this (dollymount) area for flounders, will be trying for bass this season. i will keep you posted. have caught bass to a pound (pathetic!) in weight but there are some huge fish to be caught here- good bait and patience seem essential! large fish do fall to plugs every year too. a 13lb. bass caught here was in the Sea Angler magazine in 97 so you never know. Red Rock is definately worth a try too. fish 'early and late' for best results.

Lenny

Fri May 07, 2004 7:50 pm

Lenny did you ever fish anywhere else along the mudflats? Did you notice the pool created by the river flowing out of St.Annes just as the cycle path ends. I've seen mullet here before and I'm just wondering if you have ever caught any around the area?

Mood flats

Sat May 08, 2004 12:30 am

No, sorry George. Only tried there once and caught 4 Bass. 2 nice size ones about 5lbs and the other two were only about 1.5lbs. Took one home for the pan and it stunk of diesel. Never fished aroud there after that.

Sat May 08, 2004 6:19 am

Thanks for the info lads. And Admin, Sorry for not logging-in. Anyway, went out to Rogerstown on Thurs afternoon but didnt get a tiddle. Will try again though and also the other marks that have been suggested.

Lenny

Sat May 08, 2004 8:06 pm

Lenny,
Where were you casting from? Where you spinning or using bait? I've seen huge bass jumping in this lagoon before but never set out to catch them as I thought they would be fairly scarce. Was it the channel that begins off this river outflow? To catch four fish on your first time fishing here sounds excellent especially when you are catching fish to 5lb! How long ago was it? m.b3 was that 13lb pounder caught on lure or bait?

Sun May 09, 2004 7:34 pm

George the fish was taken by a kid on his first fishing trip. bait was ragworm. the picture was also in a Central Fisheries Board catalogue (year plan or something....) a while back. a bloke i used to know took bass here evening/ night tides on peeler. fish have been caught in daylight though. not fished much anymore. the channel is no more then 30 yards out as far as i can remember. bring a rod for the mullet whilst waiting for the bass ( other way around if your lucky!). had a good wrasse (just under 2lb. ) at the telegraph pole today- only fished for 2 hours. prebaited a few minutes before fishing and had the fish on the first drop. nothing after that. tried out further for doggies too to no avail.

Mon May 10, 2004 10:55 am

Were you fishing in the gully to the right?

Mon May 10, 2004 6:22 pm

I know a person who caught a 6lb bass off Dollymount last year fishing ragworms at short range .

Tue May 11, 2004 12:01 am

yes George. have had bigger ones here though (one over 3lb.) fishing can be slow though. i am going to get another multiplier over the summer- 35lb. line stuff, i need one for rough ground cod anyway. there are a few gulleys/ reefs around this place that might produce. wrasse often frequent the same places so i am sure it won't take too long to find out. for anyone that reads this, by all means take a picture but please return them. cheers.

Low rocks

Tue May 11, 2004 12:26 pm

I think I said this before but the gullys around to the right of low rocks Ballscadden look like great places to try for wrasse. The holes look really deep. Have you tried for conger at lion's head yet? Do you have the info on sheeps hole yet?

Tue May 11, 2004 3:09 pm

i haven't tried for the conger yet. i will try this year (when i get my reel for 35lb. line), warm evenings in late summer/ autumn. won't be doing it alone though! i lost a conger an about 25lb. before in howth- to dangerous to go down and pick him up on the rocks! the hook straightened out. he took a 2lb. pollack deadbait! only managed to fish sheeps hole for an hour, 2 casts....used large king rag and crab, fished 150m + on a clipped down one hook size 1/0. the wind was behind me so casting was easy. reasonably rough ground, ithought i would have been hitting sand at this range. got all my tackle back each time but if i had a decent fish it would have mean't trouble on retrieve. fished at high tide and was surprised by the lack of bites considering the good baits. maybe it has potential though at different times. my mate fished closer in at about 60 yards, lost his gear and wanted to go! i will try it again with the heavier gear within the next few months and will let you know how i get on. cheers George.

sheeps hole

Fri May 14, 2004 3:28 pm

Where is Sheeps Hole!!!!!

Fri May 14, 2004 4:01 pm

Under sheeps tail :roll: .

Fri May 14, 2004 6:35 pm

George i will get you that map as soon as i can. it's not mine so i have to borrow it. it is found by walking past the telegraph pole, following the track, in the sutton direction. you will come to a small beach and that's it. don't know what potential this place has, if any (so don't blame me!), lots of crabs so softies or peeler are a good idea. have a look at the Dublin road/ street map- it will show you all these places. just bare with me i am under pressure workwise.

Thanks

Sat May 15, 2004 1:40 pm

Sheeps tail, is this a new mark :!:
:lol: :lol: :lol: only buzzin :lol: :lol: :lol: