favoured bass lures?

Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:50 pm

What's your favoured bass lure? Just wondering as I'll hopefully be going down to Dingle in July and hope notch up a few bass. I've couple of deep down huskies, j11, chug bug and bass bullet all in silver/blue as well as tobies and german sprats.

Donagh

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:07 pm

as spinners/ tobys go, you can't beat the irish made KILTY CATCHER silver/silver. taken a lot of big fish on these down through the years. the silver HUSTLER is a close second.

Bass lures

Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:32 am

This sounds quite obvious but it depends where you are fishing.

Bass would normally be found in shallow enough water, so floating divers are the best.

If you are fishing areas with exposed snags, surface poppers can be a killer lure. The Storm Chug bug or Rapala Skitterpop are good examples. The Bass Bullet is a great lure if distance is necessary.

Have you tried the new Storm casting shads yet? These look the absolute dogs and are definitely worth a try.

Otherwise, try spinning with Toby's, or the Dexter Wedge which has taken thousands of bass over the years!

To get the best out of your fishing, you should try to hit the rocks/beaches around dawn, the bass fishing is best at that time.

Storm

Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:52 am

Use the storm casting shads , these will also give you a chance of pollack and mackerel. The best overall bass lure is the Rapala Jointed floating in Blue(J-13 B). If you can't afford Rapalas try the Ron Thompson Splitting Jacks which are a good replica and a third of the price.

Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:15 am

It is my experience that 'casting shads' are just as good, as if not better than, plugs when lure fishing for bass. Importantly the loss of lure rate is much much lower with shads. See the thread on shads in the 'tips and tricks' area of the forum. It is also pertinent to note that one can cast further with shads than with plugs. Following on from this it makes lure fishing in windy conditions possible when plugging would be difficult.

Peter

advise

Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advise lads. The selection of lures in Limerick is generaly aimed at fresh water fish so I'm starting to collect what I need now. It will be a family type holiday so getting away when I can with a spinning rod seems like my best option. The casting shads look a good wrasse look alike for shallow rocky shores which I plan to try during the day and I'll try the poppers and floating plugs here to. I was thinking of trying the bass bullets if theres a surf up on the brandon beaches and using the metal spinners around the estuaries all at dawn/dusk.

Time to practice on some unsuspecting pike in the mean time.
Donagh

Thu May 20, 2004 5:21 pm

Here's a useful article about Bass fishing on the south cost:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/ireland/ ... ures.shtml