Split Shots

Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:15 pm

:?: Anybody know of cheap and easy ways to make lead shots?
I make my own weights in general, so I'm aware of the hazards that come with working with lead, but have never tried making shots.
It was mentioned to me to let the lead drip into a barrel of water......any other ideas?

cheers

Lead shots

Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:24 pm

Dripping hot lead into water gives (in my experience) a needle shape, not round. I mould my own weights, but have never found a mould for "drilled bullets". I saw something in a fishing mag - Takle talk or similar, that features moulds for round weights, but I never followed it up. Still have plenty of bought ones in my box.

drop

Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:22 pm

The original split shot was made in this way but was dropped off a very high tower.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:56 am

Hi Donagh, I make leadheads and weights for the company. Water and hot lead combined can be very dangerous so I'd give the dripping molten lead into water option a miss if I was you.
As for drilled bullet moulds , I have them at home , ranging from a few grams to a few ounces. I dont use them much - well , I never use them - as I need heavier weights and leadheads, so if you want the mould and the pins for the hole, let me know, I'll get it to you one way or another.
What weight are you after specifically ?

Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:16 am

Hrocks,

The reasoning behind this was the lead would have cooled down before it hits the water. I wasn't suggesting wes do this as he'd need access to a very high tower.

Donagh

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:08 pm

Hi Donagh,
No probs, just advising in case ! I've seen water hit molten lead, could be nasty. ,
H Rocks.