bass, king rag and crabs.....

Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:30 pm

i have heard of and seen a few bass been taken every year in estuary regions on big king rag. my dilema is trying to find a way to avoid crabs. i have fished through them with regular rebaiting but this is tediuos. would floating beads be offputting to these bass? i was thinking of colouring them in with a permanent marker too match the bait!? i am sure these fish don't feed hard on the bottom all the time due to the fish being taken on shallow diving plugs. anyone any suggestions? thanks lads, cheers.

Drift

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:26 pm

I have caught schoolies with a flounder rig with beads and all if thats any help. If theres a fast flow why not try drifting the worm with little or no weight up the tidal flow. I've done this to avoid weed build up on the line but the hook will catch on any seaweed around.

Donagh

Powerball

Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:38 pm

Try drifting the king rag under a rubber bouncy ball or a jif lemon container. This will also give the effect of a moving bait and the float will create disturbence.

Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:10 pm

thanks lads, i 'll it shot. i like the idea of drifting the baits either with or without the float. i have not yet caught a decent bass. they seem to be quite elusive.

Red Rock

Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:16 pm

Try this in the Red Rock channel or also at Cush Point a.k.a the sutton golf club mark.