Access to jetty

Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:43 am

Hi All

Just curious to know if a man can access the Shannon Airport jetty to fish off.

Seems to protrude nicely out into the Shannon and would be relatively close for me to to go for a cast

Brian

Re: Access to jetty

Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:19 am

I wouldn't have a clue.... Worth going for a sniff around though. You'll be moved on if it's verboten!

Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:59 pm

It looks like the airport guards could be out to you swiftly. on google maps street view, there are a good few signs up re no access beyond this point, no parking and a locked gate. It looks like you could fit two cars there (seems like someone does regularrly) tbh you might be able to wander down but its still 600 m + to the end of the jetty

Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:38 pm

Are you talking about the fuel jetty on the west or curved breakwater to the east?

I would expect Thornback, flounder & bass in the area over summer. High water only.

Jetty is almost certainly off limits but I believe the breakwater to be public and producing good fishing "back in the day".

It's under the remit of the SFPC and a quick email to them will tell you where you can & cannot go.

Would love to hear how it fishes

https://www.sfpc.ie/terminals/shannon-a ... ion-jetty/

Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:21 am

As a bit of an aviation nut I've been moved on by airport security more than once for simply watching aircraft depart from the car park (I'd be around for a few hours - another uneventful hobby eh?), so I reckon they'd try to nail you for anything involving hanging around... Perhaps it's a different authority for the jetty.
As Gearoid says the breakwater seems like a better option? As long as it's safe on the flood. Street view tells me access should be easy enough.