Follow on from something of interest

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:49 am

I also use the k2 titanium extreme. Very pleased with it. So pleased I bought a second. Works well with a multipler. I bought mine mail order from http://www.jims.org.uk. It was the cheapest out of all the on line shops. P&P was a bit steep. 40 euro. I would advise contacting them first and checking if they will use standard post. Much cheaper.

Match fishing

Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:53 pm

Was thinking about getting this rod for match fishing purposes as it has been getting very good recomendations and seems to be the "new thing" on the match circuit. I've seen jims in sea angler but never ordered from them so must check it out.

Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:56 am

George before you buy have a look at the grauvell range of rods . Viking Tackle have the full range of grauvell rods .

Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:14 pm

have irish match anglers started using them? i have to be honest i am not convinced by these rods. i am sure there up to the job, clean ground/ easy accerate casting/ etc. but with varying conditions and venues (strong currents and soft tips will drive you mad) seems a bit limited. i heard the longer versions of these blow around in the wind! that would drive me mad. how many times has it been windy when u went fishing? i would say a good second rod, if it suits your fishing.....

Match Rods

Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:05 pm

When match anglers go fishing they don't just bring the one rod, usually four or five. This way they can match the rod to the conditions/ground e.tc. The K2 rod sounds like a good rod for clean ground in reletively calm conditions, not one to use in a storm!

Sorry

Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:08 pm

Sorry that was me! :oops:

Arrrggghh :lol:

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:34 pm

what price range are these rods in? maybe i am wrong but from what i can remember they seemed quite pricey. i am all for the cheaper versions (sold on the continent) of these rods, but for fixed spool usage- easier for 'twitching' tactics, light lines/ leads. you see a good 12/ 13 foot beachcaster with a soft tip action will simply do as good a job for the price! at the same time though, everyone to there own....Chris Clarke a regular on the english team swears by them! he uses extra long rigs on them which they are suitable for i suppose. 5 rods!!!! 1 stiff rod for weed/ tides/ extreme distance/ rocks/ heavier weights/ pumping doggies!! 1 soft tipped rod for tiny bite detection, scratching, small flats, delicate baits and the like, clean beach stuff....and a trusty carp rod and small fixed spool for lighter weights/ lines....what else do i need??? i'll never have a penny in my pocket!

Rods

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:30 pm

Around £240 sterling in the shakespeare catalogue. The price is really a question of quality, m.b3. You will obviously get cheaper versions of any rod type but overall the quality will not be up to standard. As for the tackle used with these rods I've heard the terminal tackle rig length can reach 12 foot due to the length of the rod.

Match rods

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:48 pm

M.b3 , match anglers bring extra rods so as to have a spare set up to increase bait time in water incase of a snap off or something similar. When pleasure fishing there is little or no emphasis on time.

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:57 pm

One of the main advantages of using a longer continental style rod such as the K2 or a Grauvell is that the extra length can add tens of yards on to your cast . The longer rod has a catapulting affect which allows the caster to cast as far as the ordinary pendulum caster with nothing more than a simple off the ground cast . Because there is no power casting involved you can use lighter line thus improving bait presentation . Because of the lenght of these rods your line can be kept well above the surf and weed . I think the k2 has a rrp of 250 sterling and Viking Tackle sell the Grauvell Tektron for 350 euros , Absolute for 250 euros and Infinity 200 .

Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:11 pm

i would consider myself a serious pleasure angler. i always fish to the clock (15- 30 min. depending), double patting and the like. whether i am sea fishing or course fishing, i always adopt matchfishing tactics in my approach- maximising fishing time, best baits and finesse. i am still not convinced by these rods and their price range....i do not doubt your reasons for the use of these rods and please don't think i am narrow minded in my approach. at the end of the day i think to have one might be nice, but not essential. cheers.

Fishing

Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:52 pm

Fishing is fishing m.b3 , everyone has there own area they prefer. :)

Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:30 pm

very true George. i am not interested in having an "i'm right, your wrong" argument, i am merely giving another view. anyway, i think i have been outgunned on this one! cheers....

longer rods

Sun May 30, 2004 2:42 pm

the main reason match anglers are changing to these rods is because of bait prestation, the softer rods allow you to cast softer baits ie: maddies white rag , blacks frozen lug. try doing this with stiffer tip rods and you will end up showering your self and the beach with bait, also you can use lighter lines down to eight lbs. with tapered shock leaders this has a great advantage the lighter line wont pick up as much weed in the strong runs encontered on the east cost.

Mon May 31, 2004 7:35 pm

I saw someone haul in a 5kg huss up from deep water at a competition on the shannon estuary with the k2 extreem it seemed to handle the big fish ok.