Finding Rock Marks

Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi All, Relatively new angler here and trying to get into rock lure fishing. Just wondering is there any obvious giveaways to a good rock marks? Obviously first thing to jump out to me is safety, but will any rock mark do, or is there something that should stick out? Thanks in advance.

Re: Finding Rock Marks

Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:24 pm

Good safe access and exits, sensibility in relation to weather conditions, then I'd look for deeper water (Darker on Google Maps or use the Navionics web app), tide runs and such. That would be based on looking for pollack mostly.

Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:05 pm

Watch the rock mark you want to fish over low water and on the rise to see how the water.
I always fish new marks on the ebb, less chance of a rogue wave getting you. Automatic (gas canister that fires on immersion) lifejacket and at least one mate would be my strongest advice.

It depends on the species you are after...
pollack like white water boils and strong currents
wrasse like heavy weed growth so look for sheltered marks with some fresh water
macks will pop up everywhere from now on
flatfish like sheltered waters as well, and clearly prefer sand or mixed ground
rays like to surf along on currents, in and out on different routes with the tide (especially estuaries)

if you search here for each species, you will see where and how they are being caught.

HTH

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:02 am

seals !!!

Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks all,

Appreciate the advice. Hopefully have some good news to return with once I try a few spots.

All the best.