Quick Links / Swivels / Loops?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:09 am

Hi,
New to lure fishing, coming from a coarse angling background years ago.......just a few q's re end tackles.
Was gives a few hard plastics from a friend to get me going but the attachment area at the nose has nothing on....ie. no swivel or anything.
Do I use a quick link, or quick link swivel combo or fluoro loop?

Can someone link me to a good online tackle site to buy soft plastic jig rig hooks please?
Also, going to replace trebles on these secondhard lures I got. Or singles. what size trebles am I looking to get and singles also.

General rock angling for bass, wrasse, pollock etc.

Many thanks.

Re: Quick Links / Swivels / Loops?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 am

Alan Kilroy wrote:Hi,
New to lure fishing, coming from a coarse angling background years ago.......just a few q's re end tackles.
Was gives a few hard plastics from a friend to get me going but the attachment area at the nose has nothing on....ie. no swivel or anything.
Do I use a quick link, or quick link swivel combo or fluoro loop?

Can someone link me to a good online tackle site to buy soft plastic jig rig hooks please?
Also, going to replace trebles on these secondhard lures I got. Or singles. what size trebles am I looking to get and singles also.

General rock angling for bass, wrasse, pollock etc.

Many thanks.

Use the clip you are confident with. Mostly I use fast links or egg-type clips. Sometimes I tie direct to the lure.
I’d say you’ll will get worm/Texas hooks (Texas wide gape 5139) (Twistlock 5132) (weighted twistlock 5132W) in any good shop. I like Owners, they are superb quality hooks. You’ll get them weighted or plain. Hitchhiker or not.
I use size 2 replacement trebles in most cases and Owner S75 singles.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:46 am

Thanks Jim.
Swivels only lures that actually rotate then I guess, to cancel line twist?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am

Alan Kilroy wrote:Thanks Jim.
Swivels only lures that actually rotate then I guess, to cancel line twist?

To eliminate line twist, yes. I've seen some lads use swivels on fastlinks on all their lures. Its a personal choice/confidence thing I think. I find that much of the time I am fishing vertically from the boat so twist is not a huge issue. However when casting a swivel is a good idea, especially if you notice twist on the braid. Some lures surely twist more than others.