Is fishing exercise?

Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:42 pm

I fully respect and acknowledge the issues behind the "stay at home" campaign - but I fail to see the difference between a walk and an hour's fishing where its only a couple of miles away.

My mental health could do with wetting a line !!

Re: Is fishing exercise?

Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:31 pm

Not the way I do it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:18 am

Is fishing not allowed under the regulations? My favourite spots are both about a 15 minute cross-country hike from the car, not a lot, but hauling a hefty tackle box they feel like full gym workout. Maybe that's just my age.... but I'd definitely argue the case if I got stopped by the guards.

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:49 pm

hugo wrote:Is fishing not allowed under the regulations? My favourite spots are both about a 15 minute cross-country hike from the car, not a lot, but hauling a hefty tackle box they feel like full gym workout. Maybe that's just my age.... but I'd definitely argue the case if I got stopped by the guards.

If you are polite and you aren't fishing in really busy places then most gards will be sound about it, and if they do have a problem with it they'll just tell you to go home, and if you don't do that then you have a problem :lol:

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:11 pm

Well, I'm up in North Mayo, so gards on the road are about as common round here as gilthead bream....

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:50 pm

https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Notices ... ement.html

the impression i get is that it is ok within the 5k limit. i would state that to anyone saying otherwise but if the guards move you on as Hugo says probably best to just get going.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:11 pm

It seems not apparently. Just got sent home from a Waterford Estuary beach after being told fishing is not exercise despite being within 5km. I was with a friend who was also within 5km and we kept our distance but a certain Garda was having none of it so we headed off shortly after.
I guess complaints were made as the beach and beachfront were quite busy due to a small crowd checking out this large retrieval ship pulling up a sunken fishing boat about 600m off the coast.
I probably sound nettled as it was our first session in months, but it is what it is.
At least I got some footage of what attracted the crowd:

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:15 pm

Harsh

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Teegerstk wrote:It seems not apparently. Just got sent home from a Waterford Estuary beach after being told fishing is not exercise despite being within 5km. I was with a friend who was also within 5km and we kept our distance but a certain Garda was having none of it so we headed off shortly after.
I guess complaints were made as the beach and beachfront were quite busy due to a small crowd checking out this large retrieval ship pulling up a sunken fishing boat about 600m off the coast.
I probably sound nettled as it was our first session in months, but it is what it is.
At least I got some footage of what attracted the crowd:

i think you were unlucky. if the guards get wind of people gathering in a location they may be told to get everyone out of there regardless of who is entitled to be there or not. the IFI site states that it is ok to fish within 5k of your home.

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:00 pm

m.b3 wrote:
Teegerstk wrote:

i think you were unlucky. if the guards get wind of people gathering in a location they may be told to get everyone out of there regardless of who is entitled to be there or not. the IFI site states that it is ok to fish within 5k of your home.

Yeah it was fairly busy overall, cars everywhere and people hanging about to watch what was going on. Should've set up at the other end of the beach! As we packed up I was looking at the IFI rules which seemed fairly vague but it's good to know I can at least try again.
It could be worse! Cheers

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:44 pm

On the odd occasion I have fished within the 5k, I printed out the page from the IFI website with me in case I got bothered.