Making weights

Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask, mods please move if not.
Can I use the earth wire from say 2.5 electric cable as a loop when making my own 5-8 oz weights ?

Re: Making weights

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:23 am

Should do fine. Make sure it goes in at least 25mm into the lead. Put a bit of a twist at the end of the wire to reduce the chance of it slipping out after a bit of use.
If this your first time making your own weights do a bit of a search on the net about it first.

from a search on the site viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35537

Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:08 pm

Yeah you can its what most people used many moons ago or heavy copper cable bicycle spokes etc

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks Donal & Ste,
Yes I'll try pick up some lead (although it seems most of the lead pipes have been replaced by now) and make a few on lockdown.
I did a bit years back, remember you from then Donal and your still in the big leauge :D . You were mentioned in a chat I had with
a pal a few days ago about me picking up some tackle. All good stuff fair play.

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:20 pm

Swords angling Centre sell proper bags of stainless lead making eyes for 4 euro. 50 per bag..

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:36 pm

Thanks for that, I'll give them a try.

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:55 am

Make sure your loops suit your mould....Different moulds take different types of loop.

Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:52 pm

CorkyMcgee wrote:Thanks Donal & Ste,
Yes I'll try pick up some lead (although it seems most of the lead pipes have been replaced by now) and make a few on lockdown.
I did a bit years back, remember you from then Donal and your still in the big leauge :D . You were mentioned in a chat I had with
a pal a few days ago about me picking up some tackle. All good stuff fair play.

There is a scrap yard behind Lidl in Churchfield in the Industrial estate that will sell you lead for €2 a Kg.

Had a chat with them this morning after doing my bit of shopping.

Make sure that the lead is good and dry before you use it

Another useless tip, the piece of lead I cut off the weight after it comes out of the mould is put aside. I drill a hole on the top end and use it for wrasse fishing and fishing for mini's with the grandson.
Attach light line to is a a rotten bottom.

20201104_115431.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Thats a good price, I'll also try a few builders and see will they sell to me at the same price as to the scrap yard.
Thanks for that and also for all the tips above. Now all I need is a letter of freedom :D :D .

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:08 pm

There is a scrap yard behind Lidl in Churchfield in the Industrial estate that will sell you lead for €2 a Kg.

Had a chat with them this morning after doing my bit of shopping.

Make sure that the lead is good and dry before you use it

Another useless tip, the piece of lead I cut off the weight after it comes out of the mould is put aside. I drill a hole on the top end and use it for wrasse fishing and fishing for mini's with the grandson.
Attach light line to is a a rotten bottom

20201104_115431.jpg
[/quote]
Cheers Donal, went up there today and got some.