st johns point

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:39 pm

Thinking of fishing st johns point tomorrow as the misses gave me a one day permit !! anyone any advice regarding methods etc. Spoke to Kieran earlier and got some advice, arthurg, what do you reckon ?
Cheers,
C.

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:29 pm

what time will you be fishing at?

I have fished it a few times, but can not advise.

Sorry

Dave

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:20 pm

I actually prefer fishing high off the rocks from the next peninsula facing Rotten Island and its lighthouse at the entrance to Killybegs Harbour. (Note:- H Rocks - I think I confused both of us by calling it Scraggy Island earlier - Rotten Island, Scraggy Bay which is in the Swilly, and Father Ted ..................... I'm easily confused!)

Although quite hard to find the right road down to the end of the peninsula, it is a relatively easy walk along to the high rocks and a straight drop from about 30' into Wrasse of decent size. I've read that if you are getting too many around the same size then move a bit for the bigger ones as they are territorial. That may well be the case here as I often get quite a few to around 16" but rarely bigger. I'm sure a few casts in either direction might help.

If you get fed up with the Wrasse, there are flat rocks at water-level where you can try for Pollock. I admit to not having had any success myself doing this, but I am a novice from the shore and a friend - Johnny McCormack - spends many a happy and successful Sunday here with his sons.

Note: As with any Wrasse fishing, tackle losses are inevitable.