Sea Angling films

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:35 am

Just read the thread about lack of good sea angling programmes.
Give me some idea of what you would like to see?
I will list the suggestions and put some ideas to a friend who is just in the process of upgrading his film camera to Digitape.
He has made a series on Angling before [based on Irish Trout, Salmon and Pike], so he knows the pitfalls. He is also an angler.
The major problem with angling films is the fish don't always put in an appearance on cue. However filming tackle, rigs and casting etc. can be sorted out fairly easily and quickly.
I would also like to get some names of anglers who can catch fish on a consistent basis [lets me out!!].
Also anyone know any likely sponsors?
Today TV companies rarely commission films to be made, they have to be made first and then sold on. Angling isn't high on the list of "Wanted" programmes.
People like John Wilson didn't make a load of money out of angling by making films for other people. JW had to set up his own company and get his own filming done and then try to sell the various series' to tv companies. I understand no UK TV station wants to buy any angling programmes at present, so even JW could be struggling shortly.

Colin

Sea Angling Films???????? Wot!! no ideas yet?

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:56 pm

Come on lads, where are all the ideas? :?:

Colin :roll:

Programme

Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:13 pm

A series about sea angling around Ireland's most famous marks would be good. Or if you had to do just one I'd reckon a programme about Bass fishing in the south west would be very popular and you could get Bob Moss to help you out.

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:34 pm

Terry Jackson, in his small 16ft boat catching common skate, 195lb is that size big enough and maybe Sean (McKay) think thats his sur name from Ballycastle or Danny with his conger????

I will get back to you all, when I speak to the above lot.

Dave

Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:13 pm

i would like to see decent anglers fishing. their tips and tricks are the interesting parts as regard bait, casting, rigs.... anything. i don't particularly want to see HUGE fish. a variety of species would be nice. just good honest fishermen doing it right. give us something that everyone can learn from, not eletist rubbish and not some chancer who knows the sponsor and fishes for the cat! cheers, Mark.

Alan Yates

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:21 pm

Some of the old videos by Alan Yates are much better than any of the stuff you get these days. The videos include one on casting and rock fishing and a few others which I havn't seen. The rock fishing takes place in Clare at Black Head where he fishes for wrasse, pollack and even dogfish! He doesn't try and catch moby dick just ordinary, everyday fish which the majority of anglers are after and look forward to see on tv or video. The majority of anglers are not going to get a chance to fish for barracuda in the bahamas or tackle bronze whalers in Namibia, so in my opionion the people making angling related films or tv programmes should just step back to basics a little.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:57 pm

The boys with their toys "boats" say YES to being on the telly again, when are you coming here with the gear???

Dave

e-mail for colin

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:23 am

Hi Colin

I have been trying to e-mail you but keep getting error message.

I want to forward on names etc for fishing in or at Ireland

contact me asap

Dave

Re: e-mail for colin

Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:32 pm

dtmcc wrote:Hi Colin

I have been trying to e-mail you but keep getting error message.

I want to forward on names etc for fishing in or at Ireland

contact me asap

Dave

I am having trouble as well with the PM bit. The program will not let me send anything.

My reply to your PM was as follows:

Dave,
Thanks for the info which is duly noted.

I will be over in the west of ireland middle of next week and I will talk to David about a sea fishing film/s. I can make no promises but will certainly give it a try.

Thanks again,

Colin

Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:27 pm

Colin

I know I am mad for doing next part:::
e-mail me to the following

davseaangling@utvinternet.com

and I can forward on to you all names phone numbers etc

Dave

yes I do have more than one e-mail

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:58 pm

I'll do it... :D Honest.... Follow the Exploits of K2, Shipping all over Ireland, Catching 3 Inch whiting and Dogfish..... Heaps and Heaps of Dogfish.... and some pout.... and maybe even a mackeral, Which will get a special programme.... entitled 'Mackeral - Point in opposite direction'.

Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:39 am

DT, I'm doing a film in May on Pollock fishing in Donegal. It's for RTE, and then another one on Tuna at the end of the year where I've been invited as a guest on a Tuna Charter. Not sure if the details and contacts would be of use to you, but let me know and I'll pass them on if ur interested.

Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:16 am

Let us know when its being shown HRocks......sounds like good stuff....well done.

Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:24 pm

h rocks wrote:DT, I'm doing a film in May on Pollock fishing in Donegal. It's for RTE, and then another one on Tuna at the end of the year where I've been invited as a guest on a Tuna Charter. Not sure if the details and contacts would be of use to you, but let me know and I'll pass them on if ur interested.

Is the Tuna fishing with "The Man" Adrian Mulloy?

Good bloke, you will enjoy it. I suggest you get into training now!

When you say you are doing a film on Pollock, do you mean as an angler or you are involved with production?
It's nice to know RTE are interested in Angling films.

Colin

Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:01 am

Hi Accony,
No the tuna fishing is witha skipper just starting out - though I'd like to get out on a trip with Adrian at some stage - looks class.
The Pollock fishing is being done by an RTE production team and the skipper has asked me to go along to catch him some fish. Another angler has been invited. Hope we dont let them down.
H Rocks.

Film making update.

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:48 am

Still no joy with my film maker. He is still working on other projects and is in the process of getting his camera upgraded.
I will be over in Mayo next week so I will see if he is in a position to perhaps get involved.

Kieran, if you fancy a trip out in the boat drop me an email. I will be around for 2 months!! Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loads of fishing!!

Colin

Film making update.

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:49 am

Still no joy with my film maker. He is still working on other projects and is in the process of getting his camera upgraded.
I will be over in Mayo next week so I will see if he is in a position to perhaps get involved.

Kieran, if you fancy a trip out in the boat drop me an email. I will be around for 2 months!! Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loads of fishing!!

Colin

Update

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:51 am

Colin

Update

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:52 am

Colin

Update

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:57 am

Colin