Switch to full style
Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Lure fishing surf beaches for bass

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm just wondering whether anyone has tried lure fishing with plugs, soft plastics or metal lures on surf beaches for bass and whether it is worth trying it. I am thinking about lure fishing beaches in Kerry while I have baits in the water on my other rods.
Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Re: Lure fishing surf beaches for bass

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 am

Managed it here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49328&p=377129&hilit=North+coast#p377129

I’d suggest getting a beach with conditions that offer plenty of sudds after the breakers crash in, and sudd over ‘tables’ of depth of water to allow the fish to patrol under -we’ll thise were the conditions when I caught that bass.
Mind you, don't see why throwing a lure into the rolling breakers themselves might not work too, as the fish will certainly be in there too.
And I’d suggest trying a more prolific beach than the one I was on, lol
Keep us posted

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank you for the reply,
I think I might try some heavy metal lures to get out to the fish.
Do you have any recommendations on lures? Although I doubt the fish would be too fussy.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 pm

I've caught bass on lures from beaches that most people would bait fish,I'd say give it a go ,also it's way easier to cover ground and find the fish

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 am

Have a look at this, well worth a shot!
https://youtu.be/M4fr20opKf0

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:19 am

That video just goes to show that the fish are there. I think I might try some slightly rocky beaches and see what happens, although these posts are making me consider lure fishing ordinary surf beaches.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I make my own German sprat by adding a mackerel spinner to the end of then it the hook the red and silver spinning mackerel spinner makes the bass go mad for this lure 23grm or heavier works for me
mickser

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:48 pm

I was thinking about using German sprats because they cast like bullets and they look like sandeels which bass go crazy for. I was also thinking about using soft plastic eels with lead behind a bubble float.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Will be trying this from a certain beach in Dublin on friday night walking back with the incoming tide, hoping for a bass!

Am i crazy?? In march?? :D

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 am

Would also recommend a tactic used in Waterford of using heavy deep diving floating lures and deliberately smacking them into the sand at regular intervals to create further disturbance. It works.... in Waterford. You need to check the braid after each cast as it can get eroded on coarse sand very easily.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Will be using a feed shallow
Post a reply