Newcomer looking for a beach

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Newcomer looking for a beach

Postby RoryH » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 am

Hi lads, I’m relatively new to shore fishing. I took it on this year to keep me busy during the winter. Just wondering are the beaches between crosshaven and Kinsale any good? Such as fountainstown, myrtleville etc. I Have been doing a bit down in monkstown and I’m finding that quite good except the tide can be a balls!!
Thanks
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Newcomer looking for a beach

Postby phanover » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:19 am

Monkstown is ok but fish at low water. Fountainstown and Mrytleville are not great. Mostly dogs and better fished when dark. Cobh is worth a shot. Have had Ray and conger there recently. Better fishing east.
Paul
phanover
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am

I would be in the same boat, I've been trying a few beaches around Kinsale, not great at all.. But i didn't have Crab so maybe that would be a factor..

I used catch so many Fish down off Cobh when I was in my teens, my buddies and I Honestly got sick of catching coalies, etc down there and that was the turning point for me, i then got into Fly Fishing for Salmon :) that took me from catching so many to None for the first 2 1/2 years, but when I did, it was all worth it... I fished cobh last saturday morning and had 1 Big crab and 1 Massive conger!!

Everytime I fish around Ringaskiddy/ Paddy's Point, i blank.. I have only gotten dogs so far off monkstown, but haven't been fishing the wall as of yet...

I'm now trying beaches down the East side and they seem to be a bit better, so far... But it would be nice to head West again over christmas and the new year, goodluck in the adventures
Clive

For this message the author Clive O Driscoll has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm)
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby patk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:02 am

Garretstown can be good
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby RoryH » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks very much lads. I figured as much the beaches aren't too great around here. I'll have to get to cobh over christmas for a few casts.
I heard that Youghal is fishing well but that's too far out of reach for the moment. I'll have to stick with monkstown for the next few weeks. Thanks again!
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:11 pm

patk wrote:Garretstown can be good

I fished it a few weeks ago Pat, crab that I had was nearly gone off :( when I finally got down there so guessing that might have been the answer to my Blank, was during the day so maybe best at night?

Is it mainly Bass down there or?
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby patk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Only fished it after dark. Bass coalies flounder dogs etc. Either beach can fish well
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby RoryH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Would the weather condition make much of a difference? Should you be fishing in calm conditions or with a big surf?
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby corkconian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Pm sent
corkconian
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby RoryH » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:10 am

corkconian wrote:Pm sent

I got the pm thanks James.
thanks for the pm, I can't reply directly on the message board at the moment because I'm new to the forum. That's great advice and i greatly appreciate it. I am stuck until the 11th with college exams, but after that I will be heading out and trying out the spots. I'd love to meet up at some stage for a few casts if your about!
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Paddyschoice » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm going to give Garrettstown a shot sometime this week, fished fountainstown this evening with a blank...looking to get my first fish of the year! So is Garrets town fished better in darkness and what way would you want the tide? What species would be around this time of year? Cheers folks!
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Paddyschoice » Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm

corkconian wrote:Pm sent

How's things Corkconian!
I see you might have a bit of info about Garretstown fishing (guessing from the thread about the beach!)... I'm after taking fishing back up last year and want to get a bit further than Fountainstown for doggies!!

I'm going to head to Fountainstown this evening with some crab and some razorfish... hopefully pick up something for my first shore fish this year!! Just wondering of the best times/tides/conditions to fish it if you know?

Sorry about the direct message lad, just saw that you prob have fished it a good bit from the thread so said I'd be cheeky and ask!!

Thanks a million lad
Eoin
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum