Co.Clare Winter beach fishing

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Co.Clare Winter beach fishing

Postby Atlantic Angler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Does anybody here do any fishing during the winter months on the beaches around Clare? winter fishing seems to be big in other parts of the country but not too many reports from Clare.Is it the lack of fish or just that not many fish here .....
Atlantic Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Co.Clare Winter beach fishing

Postby kieran » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:08 pm

No they are there, its just people can be put off by the size of the breakers on some of the beaches!

Live too far away, but would recommend you try Fanore (southern rocky end), Lahinch (in front of the old prom or down near the river estuary), and Spanish Point (from off the rocks on the south side, not on the beach) or even Quilty itself. Its many years now but freshly dug LUGWORM was guaranteed to put you into fish. There used to be big beds around Liscannor (now sadly depleted but try the black sand), but I am told there are still plenty in places like Quilty.

I always preferred to fish these beaches on a coming tide in full darkness, ideally with little or no moon. That said, in times past, they did also produce in daylight, but you might have to fight off surfers on some of them. And a report or two with a few photos would be nice!

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
Atlantic Angler (Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby corbyeire » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:45 pm

fanore fishes well this time of year in darkness rise or fall - i have found the northern side of the beach better - but youll hear every combination and tactic for that beach - mind yourself with the swells on a rise there

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
Atlantic Angler (Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Atlantic Angler » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks for the reply's ,very helpful.Might give it a go next weekend and will report on how I get on.
Atlantic Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Lug worm and Razor are possibly the best baits for the Clare coast, mackerel is also a good all round bait too.
Even though I’ve found Mack and squid combination works well for ray down on carrigaholt beach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum