Correct way to grip lead in surf/tide

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Correct way to grip lead in surf/tide

Postby daveyboy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Folks, interested to hear any views/tips on how to get leads to grip in surf...Tide I find easier to deal with. I normally walk up tide about 15 yard cast in and then walk back to tripod leaving a bit of slack in the line. I find a standard breakaway grip lead will hold will doing this. I'm never quite sure whether to tighten into the lead after a few minutes though. Sometimes the tide forms enough of a bow in the line to bend the rod (so bites can be seen ) but often it will the continue to break out, particularly if there's surf/weed. Would it be better to tighten the line up in this situation? I'm wondering does the pull of tide on a bigger bow of line tend to push the lead out. Also, is it worth trying fixed grippers if this happens before going up to heavier leads?
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Re: Correct way to grip lead in surf/tide

Postby mickser » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Dave boy Took this from another site saved me from typing as it is what I usually do =
Lets start by saying the tide is running from left to right. This means that if you cast straight out your lead will not be able to get a grip, and it will bounce round with the tide until it finds a snag, or till it ends up in front of the angler 50 yards to your right.
Therefore the only option is to walk "uptide" if possible, and cast out at an angle uptide, (if on a rock mark you may only be able to cast uptide, so increase the angle a bit) do not put the reel into gear/close the bail arm until you have let line out as the lead sinks through the water....then as you walk back to your tripod you let out a bit more line (under control) and put the reel into gear and then put the rod in the tripod. The plan is to allow the line immediatley behind the lead to be facing exactly downtide, this pulls the lead downwards and helps it to grip. The line from the rod tip might be facing straight out or downtide, but this is normal. Then, as the tide builds up on the line, the rod tip will bend into the tide, and a big fish will hopefully take the bait and dislodge the lead, transfer all the line tension from the mainline onto the hooklength and hook itself, this is the classic "slack liner"
Now, heavier leads grip better, but a badly tensioned grip lead will not grip no matter how heavy it is. I find a 5 1/2 ounce namix will grip as well as a 7oz breakaway if the wires are bent properly. But use a 7oz lead if it is windy. It's the wires that grip the seabed not the weight.
I dont usually change the weight during a session as the tide can surge on and off, go slack, go the wrong way etc all the bloody time on the channel and it takes some getting used to, but if you learn to fish the channel, you'll be able to fish pretty much anywhere
ps, dont do what I see some anglers doing, that is casting 100 yards uptide, yet their lead is landing only 30 yards from the shore, thats crazy, just 20 - 35 degrees is enough, if the tide is hammering through shorten the casts till the tide slackens
mickser
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Correct way to grip lead in surf/tide

Postby daveyboy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Cheers Mickser, so you don't need to tighten up using the reel as such, just let the tide take it into a bow? Ah it'ss just I was using the bass rod and a 4 oz last night and there was a bit of a surf but the lead kept breaking out . Obviously ned to use a heavier lead or fixed wires so. Thanks
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum