Garryvoe session before storm

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am

Location ; Garryvoe
Low tide ; around 2130
Caught ; strap Conger, few doggies
Conditions ; onshore wind, not too bad, murky water, small swell
Bait; lug and had 5 frozen peeler too

Was down home in Tralee over the weekend and climbed Carrauntoohil on the sat morning, and hoped to fish Inch that evening to get my second bass, the wind was ridiculous and I was tired so I left and put my fresh lug into the fridge and had a take away! The burger shack never disappoints!
Sunday evening before I left for cork I got a message from my boss that we didn't have to come in on Monday account of the storm Opheila, so I went up to cork where I'm living and straight out to Garryvoe. There for half nine @ bottom tide, the evening before the hurricane, very mild and a slight onshore breeze....lovely! Was hoping to pick up a bass or a cod, had fresh lug and 5/6 frozen peeler.... About 2 hours into it a strap Conger...my first one being caught and he had my hook well down the stomach...he must have engulfed the bait! Rotten oul fish to be fair to them, slimy and he made s**t of my rig too!! There were 2 lads fishing beside me, sound oul skins, they god 2 cod a few other bits also. Few more hours and a few doggies for my troubles... I foul hooked a big dog and I thought I was into something big.....the disappointment!!! Left then around half 3 to go back to the city, tired and nothing for the plate on Monday! Nice evening though, not often you get a day off and can have a night session on a mild beach in cork!

Two questions
1) I know that after a storm is a great time to be shore fishing because everything is washed up, but the day before a storm....is there any merit in it being a good time for fishing?!

2) when using lug, how many lug would you put up the hook? (Using a 2 hook flapper with 2/0 hooks)....... And are these hooks too big for Garryvoe or about right...!?

Cheers folks and stay safe with that hurricane Opheila today!