Switch to full style
Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing
Topic locked

ARE THE COD IN YOUGHAL/MONKSTOWN YET

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:03 pm

It won't be long now before the madness begins.
To save the newbies the hassle of all the questions
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48222

Youghal.jpg

Re: ARE THE COD IN YOUGHAL/MONKSTOWN YET

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:18 pm

praying its nothing like last year a disaster in the youghal area

(hopefully the same doesnt happen like last year in terms of all the food being taken away (crab) by the entrepreneurs that ruined the fishing and im not on about the normal pickers

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Donal as a newbie albeit haven't done a lot in 20 odd years on the sea fishing scene would like to say thank you much appreciated

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Its just like Christmas at this point,being mentioned way too early :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Cheers for the Map Donal- it'll help a lot when looking through old reports!

Lucky 13 when do they usually start showing up? Is it beaches in east cork first and then up the harbour to Monkstown?
When do they start usually arriving up in Monkstown? I know there's not a definite answer just a rough guide!

Cheers
Eoin

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Paddyschoice wrote:Cheers for the Map Donal- it'll help a lot when looking through old reports!

Lucky 13 when do they usually start showing up? Is it beaches in east cork first and then up the harbour to Monkstown?
When do they start usually arriving up in Monkstown? I know there's not a definite answer just a rough guide!

Cheers
Eoin

Usually when the water temperature drops,they'll start to show...as for where they show up first is anybody's guess...I used to love monkstown but its not what it used to be certainly not in the last few years,I'll be awaiting the first real cold snap and a good storm coupled with a strong southerly wind.youghal has been good to me,but last year wasn't great,had a 7lbr the year before in the carpet's along with countless 3,4 and 5 lbs'rs over the season,that same year a few beaches I fish where hopping with cod..but again very slow last year...my best cod seasons are usually in the coldest winters...here's hoping for a good one this year... :wink:

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:35 pm

one reason it was slow last season someone potted all the crab around youghal so no food for cod to feed on , waterford fished well tho and apparently there already potting agsain

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 am

I was heading out at the start of the summer and took the immediate right before youghal bridge on the dungarvan side n came across a trailer stacked high with crab in onion bags

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm

you have hit the nail on the head there . im going sssssssssh now cos this makes me quite angry

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:17 am

eddyfletch wrote:you have hit the nail on the head there . im going sssssssssh now cos this makes me quite angry

That's a crying shame.I thought it just wasn't cold enough...

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 am

not at all im afraid so this year looks grim already

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 pm

That's a disaster... :(

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 am

2 cod,40 and 41cm, off Garryvoe tonight + dogs, strap conger, coalies and more dogs :lol:

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 am

Fair play Donal!! Is there a good fight off the Cod? Going to land my first one this winter now- its my plan of action!! From reading the old reports on this peeler crab seems to be the main bait for them and they're at a good distance from the shore, so a good whack of a cast!

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 am

Actually are Cod an endangered fish like the Bass? Are there limits on what can be taken for the plate? Obviously not taking the small ones and only taking what you need for dinner... but are they're any other issues surrounding Cod like there are for Bass?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:03 am

Paddyschoice wrote:Fair play Donal!! Is there a good fight off the Cod? Going to land my first one this winter now- its my plan of action!! From reading the old reports on this peeler crab seems to be the main bait for them and they're at a good distance from the shore, so a good whack of a cast!

Crab and lug are my number one baits for cod off the beaches. If I'm fishing Ferry Point in Youghal I'll also use mussel. On the shallow East Cork beaches you'll need a bit of distance but once the tide fills they will move in closer.
The bigger ones will let you know that they are out there

Paddyschoice wrote:Actually are Cod an endangered fish like the Bass? Are there limits on what can be taken for the plate? Obviously not taking the small ones and only taking what you need for dinner... but are they're any other issues surrounding Cod like there are for Bass?

As for endangered, I'll have plans of putting a dint in the stocks :lol: :lol:

No restrictions on size or amount but anything under 40cm is not worth keeping

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 pm

donal domeney wrote:2 cod,40 and 41cm, off Garryvoe tonight + dogs, strap conger, coalies and more dogs :lol:

Nice one Donal...now the madness will begin hehe..i wonder will they come ashore in droves after hurricane Ophelia hits us from the south early next week...tis a good omen anyway to say the least,congrats on the few codling first I've heard of yet this year.
Well done lad

cod youghal

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 am

any cod showing up in Youghal yet or reports on ferry point and the youghal beach and weed also was thinking of heading down next week any help would be appreciated

Re: cod youghal

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

Poor weekend for me!!! :( :(
Blanked On the river Sunday
Blanked @ ferrypoint Yesterday

Re: cod youghal

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 am

Paddy002 wrote:Poor weekend for me!!! :( :(
Blanked On the river Sunday
Blanked @ ferrypoint Yesterday

While all this fresh water is around you are better off fishing the estuary in Youghal from mid tide up to full. By then the flooding tide will have started to hold back the fresh water.
Topic locked