Switch to full style
Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Baited Feathers

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi

Was fishing up past the lifeboat station near Clifden last year and we were struggling to catch. I read somewhere (on here?) about using baited feathers for ray. Thought this sounded daft but might as well give it a go (can't catch less than nothing). Over the next couple of hours I got 5-6 TBs on Hokis's and nasty mackerel. For sure it seemed better than (nasty) mackerel on its own. My mate (mackerel only) blanked. Not sure if this was just a one off or not. Anybody had a similar experience? Is it worth a go or are you better off with "normal" rigs? Wondered if the look + smell makes it like sandeel or something...

Re: Baited Feathers

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 pm

No idea, but will try it down in Kerry at the weekend as I'm targeting rays = maybe the feathers look like small fish feeding on the mackerel?

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Sly Sea Fly 2016 wrote:Hi

Was fishing up past the lifeboat station near Clifden last year and we were struggling to catch. I read somewhere (on here?) about using baited feathers for ray. Thought this sounded daft but might as well give it a go (can't catch less than nothing). Over the next couple of hours I got 5-6 TBs on Hokis's and nasty mackerel. For sure it seemed better than (nasty) mackerel on its own. My mate (mackerel only) blanked. Not sure if this was just a one off or not. Anybody had a similar experience? Is it worth a go or are you better off with "normal" rigs? Wondered if the look + smell makes it like sandeel or something...

Might give this a go myself...

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm

kieran wrote:No idea, but will try it down in Kerry at the weekend as I'm targeting rays = maybe the feathers look like small fish feeding on the mackerel?

sting ray was caught in fenit the other weekend on baited feathers
Post a reply