South Coast Cod 2016

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:20 am

Of all the spots above where would you be heading to around the area, Im taking a guy with me who isnt a mad fisherman so looking for something comfortable, something with a good shout of a few fish, and close to a pub if he gets bored :D

Is the corner of youghal beach (the strand?) any good and from here would you fish into the estuary or out to sea?

Or

Ferry point, can you drive up to that cottage i see on google earth or is it private, again, where would you cast to,

Lastly I wont be able to plan for tides so is youghal beach a better bet than getting murdered with the flow at ferrypoint if we dont get down at the right time.

Thanks a mill

Re: South Coast Cod 2016

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:43 am

It might be better to hold off for a week or two until a few reports start to show

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks Donal - Your posts here are an immense help to people like myself who dont know the area so thanks a million for the effort you put in here. It will probably be a week or two now the way things are going but regarding the above whats the advice?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Best fishing the carpets your fishing out of your car and dont have to cast far always throws up flounder codling coalies,a rising tide into darkness helps

Pubs litrally around the corner take your pic :p

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks Ste - What or where is the Carpets?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:59 pm

It's the Quay in youghal for the old carpets factory. Also known as greens Quay

The only problem is that the gates are sometimes closed when a load of timber is coming in.you can check the schedule for that Quay on a website that currently eludes me. Donal has a link to it if I remember . . .

Be a shame to plan a trip down and find the gate locked!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks SC :D

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi ardinn,

You can drive right down to ferrypoint and fish out of the car there too. Dont be afraid to fish relatively close inside the rip when the tide is flying and try a little further out as it allows/drops off.
Like ste says, a rising tide into darkness would be my preferred time for most venues. The beach itself doesnt seem to fish too well on the drop. Others may have different opinions on that.

Best of luck

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:25 am

Youghal beach is a waste of time fishing in daylight.
Fish it at least 200mt from the corner as there is a tidal pull towards the harbour.

Green Park, aka the bandstand opposite the Walter Raleigh Hotel, is also worth a go it is tidal but can be fished in daylight.

The Carpets as above, it fishes day and night

Ferry Point can be fished in daylight but best fished either side of low and high water.
Fishing the corner and casting towards the moorings will catch smaller cod, coalies and flounder. Grand for beginners and the kids.
The stone beach facing out to sea is best fished in darkness.

The Abbey, at the bridge (Youghal side) take the L2004 road for about a mile there is an old ruin with parking. 2 minute walk to the river. It can be a bit snaggy down to the right. Daytime venue, it will fish also at night if you don't mind 7.36 million rats gnawing at your booth

Attached a pic of Youghal beach, the front strand, with names of the different spots
youghal beach.jpg

Youghal harbour:
Youghal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:30 am

Great post Donal, that will help a lot of guys out.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:03 am

donal domeney wrote:Youghal beach is a waste of time fishing in daylight.
Fish it at least 200mt from the corner as there is a tidal pull towards the harbour.

Green Park, aka the bandstand opposite the Walter Raleigh Hotel, is also worth a go it is tidal but can be fished in daylight.

The Carpets as above, it fishes day and night

Ferry Point can be fished in daylight but best fished either side of low and high water.
Fishing the corner and casting towards the moorings will catch smaller cod, coalies and flounder. Grand for beginners and the kids.
The stone beach facing out to sea is best fished in darkness.

The Abbey, at the bridge (Youghal side) take the L2004 road for about a mile there is an old ruin with parking. 2 minute walk to the river. It can be a bit snaggy down to the right. Daytime venue, it will fish also at night if you don't mind 7.36 million rats gnawing at your booth

Attached a pic of Youghal beach, the front strand, with names of the different spots
youghal beach.jpg

Youghal harbour:
Youghal.jpg

Repped. Post of the year right here . . .unreal detail

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks a million donal - invaluable info there! Perfect!

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:02 am

These are the best maps of the youghal fishing spots I have ever seen great to have and will be kept in my records thank's Donal.
mickser

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:49 am

Wow great deatail in the maps this is appreciated going down end of october start of November to try catch a cod

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:22 pm

Super post Donal. Thanks. Anyone fishing any of these marks the last few weeks lads and if so, how have you got on?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Superb map Donal

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Have had a few codling and loads of flounder off the carpets codling to 3lb

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks Ste.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Some very good info der thanks for that.im just wondering is der any small eye ray showing up yet?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:28 am

What's it like down in the carpets is it snaggy ground