Cat Rock , Howth.

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:12 pm

Could any one post up some information on Cat Rock( especially Steve O' Hanlon). It is the rock before Ballscadden low rocks marked by "Dangerous Cliffs No admitence". We want to make it a new Dublin mark.

Cat Rock

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:20 pm

Hi George,

My friend and his cousin own the two houses immediately above Cat Rock, so I've fished here a few times on late summer evenings beside the swimming pool.

To date we have had numerous dogfish, a rockling and a weaver. To be honest I've never taken the place that seriously, it was just somewhere pleasant to have a few tinnies on a summer evening! Having said that we have never blanked here in 3 (drinking!) sessions.

I'm postive that wrasse could be taken here on the float, especially if you use small hardback crabs for bait. The area is quite rocky so its the kind of ground that suits them. Try and fish the bait hard up against cat rock and you should have a fish or two. Pollack are a possibility if you can spin with sandeel.

The beach close by was a bass mark in years gone by, and I did wonder if the rocky area to the left of cat rock could produce one when plugging. Peeler crab might be a good bet too. To be honest I would say it would be possible, but not worth the hours you would need to put in to catch one. You'd be far better off trying the area between the Lions head and Redrock if you want bass.

Every evening we spent there last summer huge shoals of sandeel could be seen on the surface beside the swimming pool, so I guess if there are large numbers of sandeel, predators are bound to follow.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but as I said I've never really seriously fished this place. I would always consider Devils rock and the Bailey area to be far superior, and have concentrated my fishing there.

Cat Rock , Howth.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:01 pm

I' ve caught Wrasse on the float here myself and seen pollack of 4lb being taken. It's definately a summer mark.

What bait/ rigs were you using when you caught the fish you mentioned, and were you in close or distance casting?

Cat Rock

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:59 am

We were using simple 2 hook (1/0) paternosters, nothing fussy about them at all.

Bait was rag tipped with Mackeral. As I recall the doggies all came to baits sprayed with WD40. I've used this very successfully for doggies in Howth, particularly around the Bailey where I took several Buss Huss to just over 5lbs with it. Doesn't seem to be much good for anything else though!

There's no need to cast far, in fact it's best to stick to the rougher ground to the left of the rock, about 50 yards out. You may lose a few rigs but it's worth it to catch a few fish.

This place is definitely best in summer/autumn, baitfish seem to congregate in this corner at that time of year, with fish following them in.

thanks

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:14 pm

Thanks for all the info Steve , must try here a few times during the summer.

Did you ever fish the big deep gullies which jut into the land to the right of Ballscadden low rocks. The place is only accessable when the tide is quite low but it looks a cracking place for wrasse or even Conger!

Cat rock page

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:34 pm

Cat rock in Howth has been added as a new Dublin mark on this site if any one wants to check it out. Thanks to kieran once again for putting it up and make sure you put up a report if you fish here during the summer.
thanks