Any sign of pollack

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:17 pm

I'll be in Wicklow for Easter and I hope to get out for an evenings fishing. I was hoping to spin for pollack. Is it to early?

Donagh

Pollock

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:02 pm

You would catch the odd one while bait fishing but I'd say you should wait until around late may, early June until you target pollock with spinners. Try one of the Storm casting shads with a fluorocarbon trace as this is a great way to catch them.

Thanks

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:01 am

I never used to start fising for them until June but the mild winter and the piece in Sea Angler sent me thinking. As regards lures for pollack I never progressed passed the german sprat myself but was going to try Jelly worms and frozen sand eel.

Racking my brains for what to fish for.
Donagh

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:53 pm

i don' t know what marks u intend to fish but i have caught them reliably in early april on lures and floatfishing. the fish were all in and around a pound weight (shrimp falling out of there mouths). caught them at the Bailey lighthouse. at other venues i have fished for them they haven't shown until may. the quality starts to get better then. don't fish for them at bailey anymore since the old lighthouse owner left. he was a nice guy. the new owners have refused me from fishing here a few times.....anyway i think the venue u pick is important. try to find deepish water, good tide run and rocks. best of luck.

Thanks

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:31 pm

I was going to try out Wicklow head which has strong tides,deep water and rough ground however the parts for my spinning reel never came in. :(

Thanks anyway
Donagh

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:42 pm

I fished wicklow head last summer from may on and found it to be most productive on fish baits and rag.It really seems not to be a perfct place for spinning.species caught dab,plaice,pollack.wrasse,dogfish.best of luck
Paddy

Info

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:25 pm

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for the info. I ended up fishing Maheramore but all I got out of it was mud all over the car. I'll be up again in June and was thinking of fishing at the small pier beside the lighthouse but I'm not to sure what access is like these days or over at brides head.

I used to fish wicklow pier alot which produced hordes of 1 to 2 lbl pollack and coalfish on an evening flood to rag and spinners. Good fun on light gear.

Donagh

Where abouts did you fish

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:08 pm

Paddy,

Where abouts did you fish off the head. The two points I mentioned are the only two that look promising as most of the head is cliffs.

Donagh

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:49 pm

donagh
I fished just of the grassy headland with the old ruins to your right.Seaweed and snags to about 50 yards out and after that sand flats.It is possible to loose gear if not casted accurately.It might be useful to use what i call rudder with your grip weight.Lifts the weight to the surface avoiding any snags.
hope this helps
Paddy :lol:

Thanks

Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:45 pm

I think I know where abouts your on about but I'll have to take a walk out there to check out next time I'm back home to be sure. I took a walk out to brides head which is at the end of the costal walk to the head along the golf course. The kelp didn't go out that far but theres swirls and eddies from the tide which look promising.

Thanks for the info
Donagh