Tackle shops in Manchester and what to buy.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:12 pm

I promised myself some new kit this year and the time is nigh. I'm in Manchester over the Easter weekend and I am looking to buy some gear :D . Do you know of any tackle shops there? I have tried Google without any success. There seems to be plenty for Course angling but none for Shore.

I do a mix bag of angling from rock, quay and beach. I am really not sure of what to get but I am leaning towards a Penn Villain and 525 mag combo. I might also indulge myself and buy 535 mag as well. If my spending becomes frenzied I may end up with a Penn Vengeance bass rod too.

Suggestions, comments, alternatives, and wisecracks (not too many please) :lol: are all welcome.

m.b3

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:20 pm

i don't know of any tackle shops in that area. the rod and reels you mention are of good standard and ideal, considering the type of fishing u plan to do. u should be able to get a 'combo' deal. however! i would strongly suggest that you think about why you want the 535 mag! the 525 mag is a large enough reel as is and can handle the rough stuff. unless you fish heavy ground a lot, for larger than average fish, the 525 mag might be a better choice.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:43 pm

There are a stack of them, but you'll need to phone first...

http://www.touchmanchester.co.uk/comdir ... 0Equipment

One that does sell sea fishing tackle is Paul's Tackle Supplies...
http://www.manchesterhasit.co.uk/busine ... st=,cp=,l=

Ian

Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:12 pm

Just to be fair I visited my local tackle shop, Peter Horne in Blarney, last saturday to compare prices. I mentioned only that I was interested in some kit like the Penn deals on offer in the magazines. He presented me with a range choices from an ABU Zeus to one of the Penn PPT models in the price range of EUR250 - EUR400. The price includes a Penn 525 MAG. He explained that he had to match the mail order prices from the UK dealers.

I eventually opted for a Penn Vendetta with a 525 MAG at a price of about EUR290. I bought some other gear so it might be as low as EUR285. This price certainly matches, if not beats, the UK price of ST£205, especially if one were to add the post and package costs. Even having to buy the llne seperately I'm still quids in :D .

At times we are prone to slag off our local tackle dealers for the prices they charge. So now I would like to congratulate Peter for the value he is offering. As for the the rest of the tackle dealers. Understand that anglers would prefer to buy from them. But don't take us for a ride. Bite the bullet, compete with the UK dealers and you won't find us wanting.