Shallow Beach questions

Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:41 pm

Hello All,
Another newbie! Off to buy the gear soon and I'm looking forward to a change from the coarse and fly. Most likely I will just be beach and pier fishing but I'm a bit unsure of how to tackle shallow beaches like Youghal, Ardmore, Garryvoe etc. Is distance casting the only way to go on such beaches ? They just seem to stretch for miles at low water and at high water there isn't too much depth. Assuming I'll only be able to cast about 50 yards starting off, do fish come that shallow? Also, are such beaches best avoided on the ebb tide? Any advice/comments gladly received.
JE

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:46 pm

Out of the beaches you mentioned I have only fished Garryvoe . Most of the fish caught fell to Lug baits fished within 40yrds of the shore . This was during winter and at night . Fish on these shallow beaches fish tend to hug features such as gulleys , groynes and pieces of rock . Find these features and you will find the fish .

Shallow Beaches

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:54 am

A general rule of thumb for fishing very shallow beaches is to fish them a couple of hours either side of low tide. Most shallow beaches have depressions/channels around the low tide mark, and these are always good fish holding spots.

Obviously each beach fishes differently so this is only a general guide, and you will probably have to spend the first few trips sussing out the mark.

As mentioned above, it might be best to fish in darkness, or when a surf is running. Most fish dislike the combination of sunny days and calm, shallow water.

Shallow beaches

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:55 pm

BLackwater,

Have a look at the venue info on this site it may help.

Youghal _ I think the best place is in front of the right hand side of the car park by the Georgian houses. This fishes best on larger tides up to full tide and just after. Its the deepest water on the beach and the groynes tend to hold fish, however its easy to lose tackle or fish in them. A good winter venue for coddling and summer venue for Bass.

Ardmore - The beach it self is not fished that much, but the side close to the roundabout in the town fishes well in Autumn for flounder, dab, bass, doggies and whiting and coddling in colder snaps. A great Mackeral venue in high summer at dusk.

Garryvoe - The pipe in front of the caravan park is the classic spot but don't ignore the beaches to the east side of Garryvoe. This markes fished very poorly last year and are only night venues anyway. Low water or the last 2 hrs of the incoming tide have worked for me. Dogfish, strap conger, blonde ray, odd bass, coddling, whiting, coalies and flounder, but this very much depends upon the exact spot you are fishing.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:57 pm

Thanks for the advice lads. Much appreciated. Looking forward to giving it a shot. Off to buy some gear over the weekend. Now...how do I sneak a beachcaster into the house???? :D

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:42 pm

Ahh... definitely a newbie!

I think you will find that the key question is how you sneak the beachcaster OUT of the house :( :lol:

shallow beaches

Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:54 am

hi
I fish a shallow beach all the time, at Rossnowlagh,you couldwalh out 300 yards and only be up to your knees. It seems to fish very well on an outgoing tide. and max casts would be 50 yards

michael