Reel suggestions.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:45 am

Gentlemen,
I would be most grateful if you would give me your recommendations as to what beachcasting fixed spool I should purchase. My own two reels were stolen from my car just off Pearse St last Fri :evil: , and I am now without. I'm asking because most, if not all of the regulars here, know they're stuff backwards and so I'm happy to take on board any suggestions. Obviously I'll have a look at the reels suggested and see if they suit me. I just don't have the time to sift through the many many makes and models myself. I prefer the front drag type, but I'm willing to adjust... :wink: ...
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
cheers :!:

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:51 am

it was probably the guy whose traps you were robbing who stole your gear!
what comes around............................!

Fool

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:08 pm

It's very easy to make comments like that when your logged in as guest.

Wes sorry to hear about your reels being nicked.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:15 pm

Very true Donagh, and thanks.

the best a man can get.......

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:20 pm

Wes go for top of the range! diawa emblem/ biomaster/ or penn surfmaster are good fixed spool reels. if you get a good reel and look after it will bring you years of joy. it might seem pricey at first but if it lasts you ten years that works out at between 15-20 euro a year. i will look up some of the 'better' fixed spool reels tonight and give you a price indication tomorrow. what were u thinking of spending?

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:23 pm

it doesnt make a difference what way im logged in as, the fact of the matter is that stealing is wrong! whether it is reels or crabs

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:44 pm

Have I stolen anything? Well "guest", its people like you making childish and inaccurate comments on something you know nothing about that make sites unwelcoming. It might be an idea to keep such unwanted, non-productive comments and opinions to yourself.

Hi Mb3, price range would be €100-€200. Once I know its a good reel, and will last me, I don't mind paying. Appreciate the help.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:51 pm

oh right yeah, your "borrowing them". should have known you were going to return them to the tyres.

as for not knowing anything about the subject, that my sticky-fingered friend is where you are wrong. having got off my @$$ and laid my own traps in the past and having them looted, also know many people who have done likewise.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:53 pm

as for my comments, perhaps you should not boast about doing other peoples traps.

Reels

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:01 pm

The best fixed spool reel is the Quantam its very pricey but it will last you years, another good make is the Shimano Aerlex 8000 version.

Re: Reels

Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:55 pm

George wrote:The best fixed spool reel is the Quantam its very pricey but it will last you years, another good make is the Shimano Aerlex 8000 version.

I would recommend looking at the okuma range. The build quality is excellent and they are great value. Ive recently bought an Okuma Titus Gold boat reel and there is no comparison with my similar priced Shimano TLD15. I've now ordered an Okuma Inspira front drag spinning reel - 10 ball-bearings + Roller bearing, for the equivalent of 73 euro. I expect my Shimano sahara will look sick in comparison.

reel choice

Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 pm

Wes- have a look at the Ron Thompson Crucifier. it should retail at about 70- 90 euro. u can get one from Veal's via mail order but with the post strike u could be waiting. retails for 49. 95 sterling. has 8 ball bearings, spare spool (not plastic thank god) and looks the part too! the penn surfmaster is a good distance fix spool reel. anyone i met that has one has been cheating on their wives with it! it has a nice line lay which is preferable. it might be above the budget though because even through mail order it is 75 sterling. the Okuma Oryx looks the part but i have never seen one in action so i cannot comment, but the price is right. Wes, no matter what you choose just make sure the line lay is good and that the reel has a good front drag. this is the tough part because tackle shops will often tell u a reel is brilliant just to make a sale. if there are any other fixed spool users that have any of the above reels let Wes know!

reels

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:40 pm

m.b.3 is right about the diawa, shimano or penn surfmaster reels.

Bought a penn surfmaster 70 just after xmas which comes with a spare spool. also own an aerlex 8000. both have aluminum coated spools which provides great corrosion resistance. i used to buy the cheap ones but found they fell apart - go for the best you can afford

Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:52 am

The RT Crucifier was my main reel, never had a bit of bother......couldnt fault it. I'll have a look at the Surfmaster and the Aerlex 8000. Appreciate the help Mb3/Mick/Neil/George!

Fixed Spool reels

Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:12 am

George is right, the Quantam Energy Surf is the best fs reel out there. I remember seeing them advertised in UK mags for about 80 sterling. Pricey but they are the dogs!

I reckon the Tica Sceptre is next best, it's got 11 ball bearings I think. It;s incredibly smooth. I've seen them for about 140 in Henry's tackle shop, but you could probably haggle them down a bit.

The Penn Surmaster is also excellent, but don't buy it in Ireland or you'll end up paying about 175 euro. Get it mail order and shop around to see who offers the best p&p.

The Daiwa Emblems are excellent too, you can pick one up from the UK for as little as 60 sterling.

I don't like the Shimano's, I think they are over-rated and over priced for what they are.

If you wanted to buy one top quality reel, go for one of the above. If you are buying a second, slightly cheaper reel, take a look at the Cormoran beachcasting reel. You can pick one up for 70 euro in ABC, and they boast exactly the same features as say, an Aerlex, but are a lot cheaper. I use one as my "second" reel and am very pleased with it. It's well built and tough, so it won't fall apart on you, unlike some of the cheaper reels out there.

Re: Fixed Spool reels

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:33 pm

Steve O'Hanlon wrote:George is right, the Quantam Energy Surf is the best fs reel out there. I remember seeing them advertised in UK mags for about 80 sterling. Pricey but they are the dogs!

The best spec I have seen is for the Okuma Axeon:

http://www.okumafishing.com/products/re ... /axeon.htm

Pricey at £100, but top spec.

At a lower price the Okuma Oryx comes in at £80.

However, I've never handled these particular reels, just I have been converted to Okuma (especiall in comparison to Shimano products)

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:35 pm

Steve O'Hanlon wrote:George is right, the Quantam Energy Surf is the best fs reel out there. I remember seeing them advertised in UK mags for about 80 sterling. Pricey but they are the dogs!

However, I've never handled these particular reels, just I have been converted to Okuma (especiall in comparison to Shimano products)

This looks a good bargain!

http://www.swiftys-fishing-tackle.co.uk ... ts_id=4535

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:36 pm

This looks a bargain!

http://www.swiftys-fishing-tackle.co.uk ... ts_id=4535

Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:12 pm

Wes, sorry to read about your reels being nicked, but I think at the end of the day,
YOU spend your money and take YOUR choice.

I once was going to buy a Slosh reel, just by taking advice from some-one, when I got the time to try a few out I ended up with Penns.

Dave

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:39 am

A mate of mine has an Aelelex and a Biomaster both reels are about twelve years old and still the best performers.... Having fecked around with cheaper Okuma reels before (on my local tackle shops recomendation) I recently bought an Aerelex 8000 and I love it. If you want a decent reel that'll never let you down you cant go wrong. They are expensive though.... Check the UK websites.