Any sign of Peelers?

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:12 pm

Has any one had any luck collecting peeler crab? I know its very early but we've had a few spells of good weather.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:39 pm

They were available in Wexford 2 weeks ago.

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:15 am

Would you believe I stumbled across a "bed" of tyres, the other week. Can only assume they're there to collect Peelers. I'll be having a look in them this Sat, so should know then. Yes, the person owning them wont be to happy with me "borrowing" some of his catch, but we're all friends, aren't we?..... :wink:

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:28 am

Wes wrote: Yes, the person owning them wont be to happy with me "borrowing" some of his catch, but we're all friends, aren't we?..... :wink:

Be careful- I wouldn't like to get caught by some of those guys..

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:30 am

Last edited by jd on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyres

Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:51 am

Were those tyres around the wooden bridge?

Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:49 pm

Nope, up by Rogerstown.

Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:47 pm

i wouldnt do any tyres that are not my own. i know of people who have had their tyres slashed for stealing crab. those traps at rogerstown are generally done by the same few people and i have heard of incidents out there.
after all if you had gone to all the effort of putting down traps, you wouldnt be best pleased if they were being looted!( especially if it was generating income for you)
i think the best bet is to put down your own traps, after all the north dublin area is an absolute goldmine with many different areas perfect for collecting crab. if it was in the uk i guarantee that all you would see along the banks would be lines of traps.

I agree

Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:15 pm

I agree that its not the best idea to say you were robbing traps, many people do it but its not a good idea to advertise it.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:59 am

Went up and had a look. Crabs in them alright, but not peeling yet. Was the for a while having a look around, and met the bloke that layed them...and sure if i didnt know him. Has them for his own personal use, saying he doesnt want to be stumbling over rocks and such. He reckons they'll be out and ready next week. Yes, i'll be there!

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:46 pm

Wes wrote:Would you believe I stumbled across a "bed" of tyres, the other week. Can only assume they're there to collect Peelers. I'll be having a look in them this Sat, so should know then. Yes, the person owning them wont be to happy with me "borrowing" some of his catch, but we're all friends, aren't we?..... :wink:

your going to return them then when your finished are you??