Reflective Tape vs Rodlights

Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:49 pm

Which is better to use when night fishing reflective tape or rod lights. Is it true that rod lights act as a splint and reduce your casting distance?

Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:38 pm

I would go with the Starlights, the small inch long tubes. The only type of rod light that would act as a splint would be one of the Break-Lights used for camping, which are huge! Still, I'm sure there are diff opinions on whether Starlights have this effect, I would say they dont change a thing. However, if its really bothering you and you dont want to fork out for Starlights, you could try this.....go into one of those Poundworld shops and look for Glow-in-the-Dark pens, the goo kind, not ballpoint (forgive my descriptiveness). When you're out, put a dollop on the tip of the rod, it will dry quickly and shine your torch on it for a few mins......will give a glow for quite a while. Granted, you have to shine the torch on it every now and again, but it works. Personally, I'm a Starlight kind of guy.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:00 pm

I use both, thing is! some place's that I fish there ain't any lights, orthers plenty of street light.

NOW, my train of thinking is, less light the better if you are fishing a dark mark, rod tip light on and same head light for rebaiting etc.

IF, on the orther hand, I am fishing a mark which has tons of light "ie harbours etc" refective tape does the trick, bearing in mind that I sit / stand about 5-10 yds back from the gear "saves a sore neck" just watching the tip.

As I have said before I may be mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave :x

Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:31 pm

I always use reflective tape on the top of my rod tips when fishing at night . I use to use tip lights and starlights but after seeing a anglers rod tip snap exactly where the tip light was fixed I decided to change .

Tip lights

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:09 pm

Was the guy whose rod snaped using one of the small starlights or the larger delta type lights? It's hard to believe that something so small can do so much damage. By the way SOD what way is the best to put on the reflective tape and how much is the stuff?

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:52 pm

It was one of the delta tip lights with the fitting whipped to the blank . The best reflective tape to use is SOLAS . It is the one used on all the life jackets and floatation suits . I bought a role of it in Sutton Dinghy Supplies . Any boating shop should have it . It is best put on the rod barbour pole style

Tape

Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:52 pm

I have never understood why rod manufacturrers don't put glow in the dark tips on rods. you would think someone would have thought of it by now. You can get glow in the dark tape which can be applied to your rod tip. This can then be replaced if it becomes tatty. There are loads of sites on the net that sell it!