Special Baits

Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:53 pm

Does anyone know any special baits for particular Beaches in Wicklow such as Ballygannon? I am aware that the Wicklow special is a cocktail of Mackerel and Peeler crab.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:45 pm

Do you mean the 'Ballygannon special' . This was a cocktail of Rag, Crab and Mackerel .

Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:34 am

Fresh Mussels have to be one of the best bait's on the "Gannons", no need to cast out far, tip with Mackeral if you wish. Ragworm tipped with Mackeral also works. The only problem with Ballygannon lately is that the work carried out by CIE to save the train tracks from being washed away has blocked off a lot of the good spots. You need to use strong gear here as the bottom is very dirty (that's why it fishes so well), so be prepaired to loose some gear.
Damien

Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:38 pm

I agree , I wouldnt dream of fishing the gannons without mussel . Dtsacs do you have any recent reports from the gannons .

Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:32 am

No have'nt fished the Gannons in a while (for the reasons above), have fished Bray, Arklow Sth Beach and Killgorman over the last 2 months though. Bray fished well, plenty of small Whiting, 3 bearded Rockling a few codling etc, Arklow Sth beach as always fished well even though we fished in a gale force N.Easterly. The biggest disapointment was Killgorman in Wexford, everything looked just right, no wind, calm sea fished over an incoming tide in the dark, the best of bait including peelers and rag but someone forgot to tell the fish to come along. We only got a handful of fish between ten of us, one of the worst nights fishing in a long time.
Damien