Booms from the Beach.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:38 pm

Does anyone have success using booms from the beach? I heard they were good for scratching this time of year. I was going to try out the avis booms to make a three hook boom flapper. When using these booms what length should you set your snoods? Any other info about booms?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:45 pm

Hi George, I use the three hook, nice setup. The info I have on setting one up is as follows....Sinker Snood Line: 60lbs - Hook Snood Line: 30lbs - Main Trace length: 1000-2000mm - Hook snoood Length: 100-650mm. I go for about 350, but depends on the mark. I also prefer to use stainless steel booms, plastic ones are a bit too flimsy. Hook size is at your discretion.

Booms from beach

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:25 pm

Definetly prefer the metal variety. Have used plastic including Cox & Rawle but have found they are not robust enough. Always keep a few boom rigs in the wallet, only decent turbot I got last year was on such a rig.

PG

Snood line

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:00 pm

How come you use such heavy snood line, is this for fishing off rocks?

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:53 am

Hi Wes,

That 200000mm you have spoke of, is that the same as 6ft+, I never could get to grips with mm's km's and the like. :?

Dave

Pivot Booms

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:05 pm

I've had success with booms despite finding that rigs incorporating them are not very aerodynamic. Not that I'm casting 200 yards or anything but even with a short lob they are awkward. "Pivot" booms are however an excellent development in terms of streamlining. They pivot down for casting, lying flat against the line. Once in the water, they swing up and keep the snood away from the main trace body, acting like a conventional boom. Much better for casting and they also incorporate a bait clip if needed. On slow days I've found the the only fish caught were on rigs with booms. This may have had nothing to do with the boom - who knows? - I wouldn't discount their use.

booms

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:43 pm

i agree that booms can make the difference on the slow days. metal booms are handy for fishing of piers/ rocks onto sand for flatties- if you let out a little slack the booms rest the baits on the bottom. also handy for rough weather with short hooklenghts to fish baits static on the bottom. booms are handy for fishing snood lines of 10/ 15lb. line in tough conditions, ie. flat calm, clear seas. plastic booms make baits move erratically in little current and this can induce more bites. as regards snood lenght this is highly debatable. i have fished 6" snoods and 2' light snoods from booms affectively. 1 lenght often works when the other dosen't. depends on where u fish. best of luck.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:16 am

Hi George, the the 60lbs is for off the rocks, its what i mostly do. Dtmcc, yeah 6ft is about 1,800mm give or take. Judge yourself when making it up.....may suit you to make it shorter or longer.