used rigs

Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:59 pm

I've only recently bought a rig wallet and I was wondering was it ok to store used rigs after they've been washed and sprayed with oil in the same wallet as unused?

Is it worth while resharpening used aberdeens or should they just be thrown out?

Donagh

used rigs

Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:52 pm

Hi Donagh

I find that no amount of washing and reoiling or whatever does for the salt and that eventually the pockets in the wallet will become contaminated so I keep one wallet for new and one for existing or old rigs. Big luminous labels on them too for night fishing!

Because of the abrasion my rigs get from the rock fishing , I chop them up and reconstitute new rigs using the useful bits but not hooks. The line is always chewed up. If you buy in bulk from any of the UK websites hooks work out very cheap and it is not worth the lost hook-ups to recycle them. They do serve a purpose however... if you snip off the barb, leaving a small J bend, shaft and eye... old hooks are very useful as the shafts for making up weights. They will corrode eventually...

Others are welcome to disagree, I think it is down to personal choices but since I started to use "new" kit, I have been far more successful and that is not psychological, the diary tells me I am being more successful... which would not have been hard, mind :wink:

FWIW...

thanks

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:11 pm

Kieran,

Thanks for the advise which I'll definitely take on board.

One other thing. Do you tie the new hooks to the rigs going into the old rig wallet pr wit until your ready to use them?

Donagh
Last edited by Donagh on Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:46 am

I keep new rigs in a good rig wallet, and used one's in the plastic wallets that the banks "if you are good" will give you.

My method "which may be mad!" when ending a session I unclip the rigs, off with the lead and spin the rig round my head to get rid of the water. at home I replace hooks or what ever. Then put the rig into the bank bag to be reused. If reusable.

Dave

wonder am i mad or going that way