Freezing Peeler Crab

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:15 pm

Anyone know why you have to remove the gills befor freezing the peeler crab. I have read this in lots of different sources but they never explain why.

Freezing peeler

Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:21 pm

The common theory is that the lungs are poisonous - otherwise they would be eaten by the many shoreline scavangers. If they are left in, they will blacken and possibly sour the bait. I was shown how to prepare peeler many years ago by some Geordie anglers who use them as a standard bait. Their method, now regularly published in sea angling magazines, was once top secret and accounted for great success on the match circuit. As first rate crab anglers, I willingly bow to their vast experience in using this bait and therefore always remove the lungs before freezing.

gills

Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:10 pm

What do the gills look like?

Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:52 pm

Yo George,

Its a bit difficult to describe. When you next get some self collected peeler crab and have removed the hard shell, just pull back the soft shell, next to where the legs join and you will see a row of feathery like appendages. These are the gills. If you can't find any peeler crabs just pick up a freshly vacated crab shell on the beach and look inside, you will see the left over gills.