Bait Oil, anyone?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:35 pm

A couple of friends have mentioned Bait Oils to me, Squid Oil in particular.
Mates inject it into the bait, or "paint" it on. Has anybody used this? Recommend it? Thought I'd ask, before I decide to purchase. At €30 a bottle I might add, and a small one at that.

pilchard oil

Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:01 pm

What about good old fashioned pilchard oil for about 3 euro a bottle which has been a favorite with anglers for donkeys years. Personally I wouldn't spend 30 euro on a bait additive. What if ye knocked it over and it spilt.

Donagh

Bait oil

Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:58 pm

Never had any joy with pilchard oil myself and have tried it quite a few times. I have read that WD40 is good as an attractant - true !! Must try it on a bad day.

Peter

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:03 pm

I have have also used WD40 when fishing for whiting to good effect. The oil creates a slick which attracts the shoal in.

WD40

Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:05 am

It's hard to prove whether a bait additive improves fishing but my own feeling is that a good brush of pilchard oil seems to add to frozen mackerel and sand eel.

A reason I heard for WD-40 being good on fish baits is that it breaks up the natural oils present in the fish develops a larger sent area.

Donagh

Pilchard Oil

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:54 pm

I have found that Pilchard oil works well if let soaked into mackeral overnight. I have caught plenty of coalfish from the shore using this combo if peeler crab was in short supply during the winter. I have tried using ultrabite, but apart from attracting flies and losing friends it didn't do much else.

Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:48 pm

I also have found that oil in my case "crab oil" soaked into mackeral overnight works well "at times".

Dave