were 2 dig white rag

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:50 pm

does anyone know were 2 dig white rag

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:23 pm

I was also wondering this, especially were to dig the big snakes around the North Dublin area? Does anybody know!

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Sorry guys - white rag beds are a closely guarded secret! One tip though is to look at some of your local bait beds at low water on a big spring tide. If there are guys digging at the low water mark, chances are its a bed of whites.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:59 am

the beds are long dug out. even on the very biggest tides of the year (which only happen once or twice a year) you could go out and dig like hell for half a dozen decent whites-- that is if you are lucky!

smaller whites

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:21 pm

You'll get smaller whites as a by product of digging lug. I used to get the bigger snakes as a young lad at a sewerage outlet which is now out of service. We didn't bother digging for them as we used to be able to dig bags of 3 ft king rag and thought bigger was better.

Donagh

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:06 am

Would a handful of small sand whites be just as effective as a snake?

Small whites

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:56 pm

The smaller whites are harder to bait up and more delicate.

Donagh

Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:10 am

Its a long time since I was there but Baldoyle estuary, from the church up to the DART station used to produce excellent kind rag in very oozy conditions. With the recent pipe laying it is likely the beds were destroyed but it may have been recolonised. Normally I bring a fork for rag digging but there you need a spade as well as it is incredibly mucky!

Big whites are extremely rare now. You need the lowest tide possible, four times a year and look to dig beside masonry worms that build tubes - you often see these washed up on the shore after a big storm...

FWIW...

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:19 pm

I agree. Try Red Rock in Sutton on the lowest tides...