Sutton Golf Club Mark

Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:27 pm

Does any one have any info on fishing the small strand into the channel at the back of sutton golf club? Would you catch flounder here at this time of year? I've only fished here once when I saw sea trout being caught and I've heard its a decent bass mark.

Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:27 pm

Hi George

The entire estuary was heavily disturbed recently by the pipelaying alongside the Baldoyle road and as a result the most spectacular (and spectacularly smelly) king ragworm beds in all of Ireland were lost.

I know it is a good flounder mark but never heard of bass or sea trout, though any channel like that always offers a chance. Long time since I fished it but I think JD or others will have something to say about it...

FWIW...

Sutton Golf Club

Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:21 am

Fished here about a month ago but blanked.

The tidal flow is incredible here, there's no hope of holding bottom when the flood/ebb is at it's strongest. I would suggest trying small tides and fishing from low water.

I'm definitely coming back here to try spinning/plugging on late summer evenings though, it looks a good spot to try for bass.

Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:53 am

I've tried plugging for bass here once but it was to no avail although I saw quite alot of baitfish jumping all around the channel. I must try for bass here again during the flood as they had probably finished feeding on these small baitfish and moved on into the estuary.

Jif Lemon trick

Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:53 pm

I was browsing through Roger Baker's extensive fishing library in Kerry and found a UK book on Bass fishing which listed one intriguing technique - you fill a jif lemon with candle wax and use it as a casting weight in lcoations where there is a swift current and shallow water - you put a delta or similar sandeel or even live sandeel on the end of another few feet of flourocarbon trace and fish it, salmon fly like, across the current. They were using it in powerstation outflows but I reckon there are lots of irish estuaries where it could be useful. Anyone ever seen it used?

RSVP

Wax filled jif lemon

Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:08 pm

My grandfather used this technique regularily at numerous rocky outcrops in Wexford such as Kilmichael. They could not get bait in these areas and used the plastic lemon half filled with wax and a three foot trace to a rubber eel. In good surfy conditions it took numerous bass. A number of years ago, I was in Coutmacsherry . Ater many fruitless hours beach fishing for bass, we went into a pub called the Pink Elephant . Behind the bar was a couple of rods made up, complete with lemons and redgills. The owner told me that himself and the sons used them extensively for bass fishing whenever the surf came up . They never bothered bait fishing and reported great success.

Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:23 pm

I'm intrigued!!
Could someone explain how to tie up the rig properly -eg how to attach the jif lemon.
I'll gve it a try out on the burrow in Rosslare- (the channel on the wexford harbour side)
The other thing I was going to try was free lining a bunch of ragworm with a spinning rod (use to work for me as a kid in Ferycarrig when I ran out of weights)
jd

Jif Lemons

Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:52 pm

Same concept, updated approach.
Only today did I pick up from the Glasgow Angling Centre a couple of floating egg-shaped lure casting aids called 'Ballrag'.
Manufactured by Ragot. Distributed by Normark. Priced £2.95 sterling.
They come in 30, 40, & 60gm and are equiped with swivels. Ideal thinks I for launching Redgills or live Sandeel and retrieving close to the surface.
Another alternative used by Scottish Bass anglers at power station outflows, is to utilise a controller float for casting and retrieving Redgills & Sandeels near surface.
Bill

Power-balling for Bass

Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:26 pm

I heard of a similar technique called Powerballing where by you use one of those dense rubber bouncy balls instead of the lemon. You can use them for bass and also to suspend feathers under when fishing for mackeral. The casting weight is just as good and it doesn't scare off the fish.

Re: Sutton Golf Club Mark

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:12 pm

George wrote:Does any one have any info on fishing the small strand into the channel at the back of sutton golf club? Would you catch flounder here at this time of year? I've only fished here once when I saw sea trout being caught and I've heard its a decent bass mark.

Hi if u want 2 catch good flounder then go 2 the back of larry mullins gaf at the corner of howth beach when the tide is nearly out i cauth a 15inch flounder ther about a month or two ago

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:55 am

What bait and rig were you using. I heard moving a flounder spoon was best around here?

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:31 pm

There's a fine article at [url] http://www.worldseafishing.com/shore/po ... bass.shtml[/url], Bill Thrussels' site, regarding powerballing. He thinks that Jif lemon containers are a bit big and spook large fish.

Declan
Last edited by Read on Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:12 pm

Very informative Declan. I look forward to giving it a try for the Bass in a couple of months time.
If you fancy trying out a Ballrag, I have a couple spare. Send me your details & I'll post one over to you.
You may get the chance to try it out before I do.
Cheers