"Bait Box" Velvet Swimming crabs

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:38 am

Has anyone used these yet?

I've seen conflicting reports about them and am curious as to their usefullness.

TSF did a report on them and said they were great, whereas some angling forums seem to think they aren't much use - they've said that the scent washes out of them too quickly, and that they are too full of liquid and not meaty enough.

Collecting peelers can be a royal pain in the ***, so I suppose that any replacement is welcome. Even if fresh outfishes frozen every time.

What's everyone's views?

Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:22 pm

Asked a similar question on this forum. I've only used one pack and only caught a dab and had a missed bite but the fishing was poor to start with. The magazine reviews are little more than advertisements and the crabs are fairly watery and JAKES from this site reckons their not true peelers. Still sucker that I am bought another pack on Saturday.

Donagh

Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:11 pm

I used this bait when fishing for wrasse and didn't catch a thing. I agree that it isn't the smelliest bait ever and not as good as real peelers but if you were short of bait it would be useful

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:06 pm

Save your money lads, there a waste of time. You'll get better results going to a fish monger and buying some mussels. You'll get a lot of mussels for 7 euro!!!!!!!