Plaice Fishing

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:19 pm

I don’t usually do much fishing at this time of the year (Feb-May) but was thinking of maybe trying for a Plaice in Greystones from April onwards. I also try for the big returning flounder at my local beach Sandymount, had one nearly 2lb last April. If anyone has any good marks or tips for Greystones or surrounding area regarding the plaice fishing it would be much appreciated.

Sand depressions

Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:34 pm

Alby, I was out digging lug at Sandymount the Sunday before last, and noticed dozens of depressions in the sand that I guessed to be made by some sort of flatfish - flounder ? Have you ever fished on the strand? There is a channel in which the incoming tide flows that might be a "fish highway" that can be reached from the corner of the Ringsend "nature park". Do you know of anyone having fished there?

Neil

flats

Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:06 pm

Alby has fished sandymount for flats and had a few flounder. Myself and Pat Hicks had a few very decent Plaice from Dollymont beach in November about 2 years ago. We had them at night. Plaice are few and far between. Lots of mini Dabs out there though! The Kish bank is crawling with them and Dunlaoigre is plagued with them too!

Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:39 pm

Neil,

Thats exactly the spot I fish from - the corner of the nature park. I've caught a fair few flounder there on rag and crab. The fishing isn't exactly fast & furious but the general size of fish is very good,, most of them over a pound - some pushing two lbs. The channel that you talk about is called the cockle lake. I've seen many flounder being caught here on an incomming tide, as you say it is a type of highway. My dad fished here when he was a kid and talked of regularly catching bass during the summer, his best one 8lbs.

sandymount

Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:48 pm

30 years ago, the Cockle Lake was regularly longlined for big flounder and bonus bass,and generations of Rinsgend residents dined well on them. The bass tend to run the length of the south wall during the first big tides in May. Peeler or king rag are good baits. We used fish the mouth of the Cockle lake surf style, backing up with the tide. I have seen two specimens come out over the years and a lot of fish on the 6-7lb class. They are still there but not in numbers and the best chance of success is by putting in the hours at the most productive time, usually the first flush of the tide. Green weed can kill sport along this venue unfortunately. Baits are engulfed in minutes.
There was always big flounder in the lake. I never saw a three pounder but witnessed several fish over two pounds. I would advise caution if fishing the Cockle lake. I don't know how the extensive workings have affected the currents but the tide here always crept stealthly around the angler, especially in the evening time. It is very easy to get caught up in the fishing and suddenly find your exit under a couple of feet of water.