Abu Garcia 5500HCL Vs Abu Garcia 6500 C3/4

Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:49 pm

I am looking to purchase a nice baitcaster reel.
I have really come down to the 2 Abu's, the 5500 and the 6500 but I am not sure which to go for?
I will be using it for surf and beach.
Does anyone have any thoughts which one to go for and what prices they are?

Thanks
JK :D

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:03 pm

I have a 6500 Mag Elite and use it for both general beach and light surf fishing. I find it excellent - very reliable and easy to control. A while ago I had a look at the 5500 size Mag Elite which I figured would be ideal for the surf, with a light rod. However, I was put off by the handle, which is a small standard 2-ended job, and not the comfortable power handle of the 6500, which I like, especially with cold wet hands when surf fishing. It may be possible to get a power handle for a 5500, but I went for another 6500, this time the orange premium Mag Elite, which seems every bit as good as the original - it cost €140 (at the angling show!)
Whichever you go for, I would get get the CT version, without the level-wind, which would get in the way while casting.

Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:45 pm

Are there any cheaper reels of this type? All the Dublin shops are looking for 200 euro for the Mag Elite.

Abu Reels from the States

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:12 am

I have recently bought 2 6501 C3s from [url]http://www.jacksonlures.com[/url] including 2 power handlesand insurance and postage GBP93.50!!

Ed Jackson has factory recons for less as well. Email him at ed@jacksonlures.com for a list of new ABU reels.
With the dollar weak against the £ there are some good deals to be had.
If you buy anything from the states ask for a low price to be put on the customs label it helps to save on tax when it arrives on your doorstep.

How is the Euro against the Dollar? That's the question?[/url]

Abu Reels from the States. Again

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:16 am

Also available on EBAY

[url]http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=moneyman12&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25[/url]

Happy bidding!

Colin

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:32 am

Thanks Lads, Info is great. Plumped for a 6500 TCST from eJay @ $84.