Five Mile Point

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:15 pm

Can anybody give me directions to Five Mile Point . I have fished it before but got a lift off someone so I am not sure of the directions . Also does anybody have any idea of how it is fishing at the moment . Thanks

Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:07 pm

Is that the beach near newcastle?

Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:02 pm

Yes it is. I think its somewhere between Newcastle and Killoughter but I am not sure .

5 mile point

Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:03 pm

Go through Newcastle village, a short distance beyond you will pass a small group of houses on the left. At the end of these houses is a laneway to the left. This is the road to 5 mile point. There is sometimes a sign indicating the turn but it is often obscured or turned around. Drive to the end of the lane and park by the house. Observe any cut ins as you drive as it is sometimes awkward for cars to pass. There has been a lot of stones deposited on the beach recently and these are meshed in. High tide on a springer could be awkward unless you stay left of the house. (The House and right normally fish better than the shallower Newcastle end).
I would ask any visitors be aware of the presence of houseowners here and keep noise and disturbance to a minimum. Especially keep the house entrace clear. I heard at the weekend that the road to Killoughter is closed but I'm not sure why - I hope not due to the activities of anglers.

Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:03 pm

On the road from Newcastle heading south towards Killoughter, look for a signpost about two miles along. The sign is on the right-hand side of the road and is almost obscured by bushes, and is not marked 5-mile point, just a picture of a sandcastle. It might take a couple of passes to find it - if you get to a right turn you've gone too far so turn around and try again. ( I normally pass it by on the first attempt, and I know where it is!). A narrow bohreen leads to the beach - reasonable space for parking at the end of the lane.
I have always found the area to the right to be the most productive, and it needs a bit of surf. During or straight after an easterly blow normally gives the best conditions. February/March would not be the best time to fish it but there should still be whiting and dabs about, along with a few dogs. Worth a try in the summer too - some homelyn ray in with the doggies, and the occasional huge smoothie. Have fun!

Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:08 pm

Thanks for that lads . I might give it a go this week-end .

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:22 pm

SOD, heres a link that you may find useful :- http://www.geocities.com/sea_angling/page4.html