Carrick Island

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:11 pm

Here's what the shannon FB site say where carrick Island east mark is:

"Access is via the bridge onto the island and immediately after the bridge, a right turn leads down to the fishing mark. Park 100 m from the turn and walk across two fields until the beach is reached. "

I parked opposite the B&B and started a walk through field but all I found was a mud flats. Ended up on beach where I could of driven down the track the full way parked and turned left. I suspect I wasn't fishing in the right spot. Anyone got any better descriptions?

Also I noticed the sign for carrick west on my way back had rock and beach fishing. Is there a beach past the gun battery building?

Directions

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:38 pm

Hi Donagh

You have to take all directions from FB books etc with a grain of salt, some of this is more than a bit dated, and that's not just the directions!

Turn right at the B&B. Follow the road to the end. Walk across the low shoreline (good for bait, bring a fork) heading for the remains of an old building on the grass. You can fish straight out or better still head east to the end of the point and fish directly out onto the mud, aiming for the main channel. I must put a better description up on the website, thought it was better than it is... update on the way.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... hannon.htm

The western mark is at the end of the track and keep walking. Bad road - mind your axles (and ankles!) Nice flat rocks on the point. Foul ground.

FWIW...

thanks

Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:20 pm

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for the information. The directions in the Shannon FB can be off sometimes. I wasted a good 1/2 hour one day looking for the foynes swimming pool mark that was east of the pier when it was west. Though in fairness they corrected the description pretty much straight away. They also describe the carrick west mark as fishing into clean ground. BTW I put a fishing report up but I doesn't seem to be accessible.

Anyone know the answer to the other question:

Also I noticed the sign for carrick west on my way back had rock and beach fishing. Is there a beach past the gun battery building?

Donagh