Shore casting for Tope

Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:47 pm

For all the Tope reports I have read so far I haven't seen any casting distances mentioned.

I will be fishing North Wexford and I believe there may be a possibility of a Tope on some of these beaches so I would appreciate it if someone could let me know if these fish are close to shore predators or if they prefer deeper waters.

Thanks Guys,

Don.

shore tope

Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:12 pm

Hi Don

Brian Cooke has an excellent article on shore tope in that area in this month's edition of "Irish Anglers Digest". There are also some good posts on this forum on the topic. It depends on the venue. A UK angler has suggests that tope can be taken on a standard sand eel which can be cast a fair distance, especially on a clipped down rig. Most people use a chunk of mackerel; - clearly casting distance willbe restricted by such a large bait. I imagine 80 metres would be as good as it gets with a standard beachcaster. Look for a venue where a shorter cast will land you in a deep gully or channel, of which there are several around Wicklow and Wexford. Alternatively if dustance is required, use a lighter or more streamlined bait and rig. Steve Souther from the UK is sending me across an up and over clipped down rig he uses for tope fishing from the shore so if it arrives, ahem, then I'll photograph it and post it here...

FWIW...

[/code]

Carraig Island

Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:31 am

Carraig Island
Come the summer I intend to give this mark a go for tope.
Undecided on whether to fish the east or west side, anyone have experience at this mark?

Also, Im going to try chunks of freshwater eel, ala thames estuary style.
Easily cast and easy to rig.
It makes sense that this bait only works in estuaries that have large runs of eels, as the Shannon does.

Unfortunately, I know nothing of when these fish arrive in the estuary so methinks a lot of hit and hoping involved

Kev

Irish Anglers Digest

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:20 pm

Irish Anglers Digest
Er
Is this a magazine then, as I dont normally buy em?
Kev

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:24 pm

Irish Anglers digest is a magazine.
Carraig Island - for tope you need a decent cast into teh channel with a good tide running in, and you would probably have to wiat until late March or April. Email William, the skipper of the the Keltoi Warrior as he will know when the tope are running in the Shannon, details in the boat charter section.

Good luck!