no more multipliers !!

Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:45 pm

I got a present of a voucher for a local tackle shop in waterford for xmas, I used it as a down payment for a penn surfmaster 70 fixed spool reel. I had to put a fair bit with the voucher to purchase it and i know i would have got it a lot cheaper from mail order firms. however the amount of advice, tips and gerneral info is just something you dont get from mail order firms.

i use both multiplier and fixed spool shore outfits for the past number of years,
but unlike the current trend of ''upgrading'' to the multiplier outfits i decided to return to the fixed spool outfit. for me, I find them less hassel, especially at night, dont get bird nests in windy conditions, dont have to tune it and can reach casting distances just as far as the multiplier versions.

Rather than buy a new rod, can anybody advise me if it is worthwhile to get my multiplier rod re-rung for fixed spool use. it is a penn inxs 11

would there be any performance loss

who could do it, how much.

thanks
mick.

rod re-ringing

Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:33 pm

Hi

Check the Kilmore SAC as they will know someone who can do the job. Very important that it is done as the small and number of rings on the multiplier rod will impede the flight of the line off the spool and reduce casting distance. Get a professional to do it given it is such a nice rod and reel combo - no sense in getting the balance all wrong and snapping it!

FWIW...

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Kieran, thanks for advice, emailed Kilmore s.a.c. and waiting for reply.

rod blank conversion

Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:09 pm

the only problem is that the blank will bare scars from the old rings on the multiplier set up. i know because i have built my own rod (penn extreme). because the fixed spool set up uses less rings u cannot hide the old positioning of the multiplier rings. i have used size 7000 fixed spool reals on my 13' penn extreme and found it cast still long distance and i did not have any snap offs due to the smaller ring size. although not ideal it works fine. fixed spools are very underrated. if you have the time it is not too hard too build a rod up yourself. material choice is critical. 'Gibbs' 2 part resin is the best. you can use Pro- rod varnish to gloss the blank. Hope this helps, m.b3.

rod conversion

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:46 pm

thanks m.b3,

on a number of occasions I have taped on a fixed spool reel to the penn inxs 11 multiplier rod instead of using a multiplier reel, indeed i know a few anglers who do the same when night fishing.

Im not the greatest of anglers ( see my adventure in the saleens shore report) but after using both types of outfit I dont subscribe to the common belief that fixed spool outfits are inferior to multiplier outfits, but everybody has their personal preferences.

however I would not be confident of doing the conversion myself, where to position the rings for the correct loaded rod curve and neatly whipping them etc would be out of my league. but i am greatful for the tips
thanks.