Fishing Competitions??

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:51 pm

I have never fished a competition before and am keen to try this summer.
Would it be best to use two rods?? I will be fishing for conger,ling,cod,wrasse,pollock,all the rays and all the flats. What kind of rods and reels will I need for this kind of work??
I already have a Mitchel Riptide 2/0, and a Shakespeare EuroBoat.

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:52 pm

Forgot to mention ill be on a boat!!!

Boat Competitions

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:28 pm

MarkJ
Firstly on the competition side, If fishing from your own boat with a club or fishing with a club on a charter there are a few different possibilities. You will find that most charter boat comps are run to IFSA rules. You can only use one rod at a time (you can bring as many as you like). Scoring will be by way of points per fish and more than likely points per species. Fishing will be done at anchor, this it case with the big "open" IFSA events. Most club comps off charters will allow drifting.

While some small boat clubs also fish loosely to the IFSA system you will find that many small boat comps are are run as species competitions and that the prizes are awarded to the boat rather than the indvidual. This suits the nature of teamwork required on a small boat. In these styles of comp each angler is allowed to use two rods at any one time.

There are many differing styles of comp and scoring systems from catch and release to one fish of each species brought to the scales.

On the rod side. I will always take three rods fishing. One 6-12lb class, a 12-20 and a 20-30. At this stage you will have every eventuality covered. If you asked me to leave one behind while fishing a comp? I would leave the 20-30.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:54 am

Well Jim, you would take One 6-12lb class, a 12-20 and a 20-30. What type of fish would you catch with each of these rods??