Malahide Estuary

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:39 pm

was walking down the beach in malahide this afternoon with the "better half" and saw a silver fish break the surface in the channel in front of the island view hotel. I don't think this was a mullet as the water was calm and there was no sign of any other activity from mullet...could it be that there is a run of sea trout this early in the year in malahide and if so...has anybody ever had much luck foshing for them there???

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:50 am

i wouldn't know? what i would say is that at this time of year the first of the mullet start to arrive back on the estuaries near me. usually only individual fish too. often lucky to see 'em.

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:15 pm

there used to be a good run of nice sea trout up to double figures in the estuary they used to run the broadmeadow river, but the river was drained and is now like a canal - featurless . the odd sea trout till runs the river and a few also run the ward river. you could try for them at first light or at dusk with a toby or german sprat or a sliver of mackerel, but a good method would be to fish a double hooked butcher and a teal blue and silver under a clear bubble float - retrieving slowly ive taken some nice trout like in the past.

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:02 pm

i don't know mb3 although i didnt get a good look at it. it just didnt seem like a mullet it was a fish of about 1/1.5 lbs and from a distance seemed like a sea-trout. Mind you the mullet are on their way back ive seen them on the lower reaches of the tolka in the east wall on my way into work on the dart. Once the mullet arrive the bass cant be too many months away!

Actually lampoon i think i might give the estuary a shot with my fly fishing gear anyway, drove into the car park late last summer and saw several people spinning and fly fishing along the channel...cheers for the tip about the flies. Also was thinking of bringing the beach rod and mutiplier and lumping some mackeral and rag into the main channel while i spin or fly fish...is there much chance of a bass and/or flatties??