cooking conger

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:06 am

Hope this isn't a taboo subject - as in fishing for the pot . Is it necessary to skin the beast before cooking it ? Took me hours . Any tips , other than nailing to a board like freshwater eel ?
An old local chap wanted the skin - apparently a folk remedy for arthritis - but had no idea whether conger would work the same as freshwater or what to do with it .

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:03 pm

Blowin,
Some folk skin them some don't. You'll notice that a lot of the recipes involving conger specify having it skinned. I'ts a bit of a swine to skin until you get the skin half way off after which it peels away fairly easy. Hang it as your doing and use a razor blade to make the cut and then use pliers to pull it from the flesh.

Reasonably good fish when you get it done. Go for a cut from the middle and poach(cider is nice) or braise it. You can roast it aswell. Avoid the tail section has its got more bones about it - use it for a fish soup rather than throwing out. It's clean white flesh and there isn't anything bad about it. I've got some conger recipes if you want them.

Pete

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:28 pm

Blowin.Cook the conger before you skin it .It makes no difference to the taste but will peel off very easily.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:41 am

Many thanks for replies . I guess the slime doesn't make the sauce all stringy then ? I'll give it a try .
What was it Mrs Beaton said at the beginning of one of her recipes ? ... First catch your hare .....
N/

cooking conger a receipe

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 pm

place a conger steak about 2 inches thick on a piece of chip board, place in a moderate oven for 20 min. take out of oven remove fish from board and eat board. yes it is that bad.

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:19 am

very funny . I'll try that on the wife . I don't much like fish anyway !
N/

Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:47 pm

it has to cook slowly and for quite a long time, it will taste s**** if you only leave it for 20mn. Cut 1 inch steaks and cook them on a medium heat on a pan for 30 to 40 mn, you'll see the difference. Tough meat, doesn't cook that easy