Anyone use a reverse pulley?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:19 am

Just wondered if it made any difference to casting/bait presentation.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/idpearl/ReversePulley.jpg[/img]

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:47 am

By having the bait so far away from the lead, it would increase the aerodynamic drag on the rig, and decrease the casting distance, also cause birdie's if a big bait is used :( .

I use somthing similar here in South Wales, called the up & over or high & low, were the hook lengh goes over the top bait clip that is on your diagram and back down to the lead (the hook lenght would be twice as long as you show). This puts a long hook lenght on the sea bed, very goog for the Rays :D .

Hope this was useful to you :wink:

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:58 am

I am not sure why my last post came up as a guest?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:08 pm

I got that image of a French fishing site where they say it is the favourite rig for catching Meagre. They're huge!

http://www.pechefishing.com/shore/0701/ ... tml#ancre1

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:09 pm

agree with Wayne. big bait = spinnies!! up and over version gets thumbs up.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:11 pm

I used that trace years ago and it cuts distance.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:19 pm

do you mean the up and over pulley's Neilius? i reckon it has to do with all the folds of line offering more resistance as the rig travels through the air. a long pulley rig and a good bow in the line should see baits fished hard on the bottom anyway.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:43 pm

As far as I know the closer the bait is clipped near your lead the less resistance you get when casting as when the lead is going at a fast speed it creats an affect like a bullet I dont know much about physics but I think the impact shields are still the best for aerodynamic's when casting.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:38 pm

I can't understand how this can be a pulley rig when the whole idea of the pulley is to be able to cast long and to lift the lead away from the fish and the ground on the retrieve.Surely a power cast with this would put huge pressure on the bait clip thus making it a very dangerous rig for distance .